• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim, If you receive 100% from the VA, it will not affect your retired pay at all, as you will get 100% of that too. Under the present CRDP prgram.

If you get a lesser percentage, then things can get a little complicated. Below 50% from the VA, and you are paying yourself. Since you will give up a corresponding amount from your Retired Pay. Just save a little on taxes, since VA awards are tax free.

Between 50% and 90%, you would need to check out the CRDP tables to see how much you would get, over and above the amount of the VA award.

For example, I retired in 1980, and until I reached the 80% disability mark, I was paying myself. Then CRDP was introduced eff. 1 Jan 2004, and the USAF finally started paying me some.

Another thing about the 100%, if you are 100% Schedular (means you have disabilities that actually total 100% under VA math) you will get full retired pay now.

If, on the other hand, you are 100% TDIU (that is granted Total Disability on the basis of Individual Unemployability; on the basis of Service Connected disabilities), then you will have to wait until 2009 to get 100% of your Retired Pay, until then it is phased in each year, for this category alone.

Everybody else, below 100%, their CRDP, if it survives the Republican's attempts to do away with it altogether, will have to wait until 2014, until they recover their full Retirement Pay.

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends

There was a change in the law that allows the retired to keep VA comp and not offset it with the military retireement. However the defence department on its own said military retirees who get VA comp by IU. THey dont get to keep there money and the offset continues.

This is a total farce and abuse but congress refuses to write laws to correct this. actilly in fact it was noted vets with IU should get it because they do not have the ablity to work wherein 100% without IU do work to get added income. SO this IU excepton the DD put in was a realy bad faith tactic just to save money.

Terry Higgins

tks for the info//bigjim

CDRP and CRSC are two different programs-

you might be eligible for CRSC -Combat Related Special COmpensation:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/crsc/

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/crsc/eligibil...eligibility.htm

CRSC Eligibility Requirements

The addition of CRSC II has not completely eliminated CRSC I. The following describes the preliminary eligibility requirements for both CRSC I and CRSC II.

CRSC I and CRSC II Eligibility Chart Eligibility Requirements CRSC I CRSC II

Minimum VA Disability Rating 60%

or

10% with a Purple Heart

10%

Length of Service Active Duty

20 Years Active Duty Reservist

7200 Reserve Points

Active Duty

20 Years Active Duty Reservist

20 year Letter and Age 60

Currently Receiving VA Compensation and Retirement Pay

VA Compensation and Retirement Pay

Eligibility Date Retroactive to 1 June 2003 Retroactive to 1 Jan 2004

CRSC I and CRSC II Payment Chart Payment CRSC I CRSC II

CRSC Payment Single Rate: Deposited concurrently with standard retired military pay With Dependent Rate: Deposited concurrently with standard retired military pay

Payment Retroactivity Retroactive to 1 June 2003

or

Date fully eligible for CRSC I

Retroactive to 1 January 2004

or

Date fully eligible for CRSC II

CRSC I

Retired with at least 20 years of Active Duty or 7200 Reserve Service Points.

Have a VA disability rating of 60-100% or 10% associated with a Purple Heart.

Drawing retirement pay.

Receiving VA disability pay.

Those who meet all of these CRSC I requirements are eligible to receive payment retroactive to 1 June 2003 or the date they are fully eligible.

CRSC II

Retired with at least 20 years of Active Duty or a 20-year Retirement Letter and is at least age 60.

Have a VA disability rating of 10% or higher.

Drawing retirement pay.

Receiving VA disability pay.

Those who meet all of these CRSC II requirements are eligible to receive payment retroactive to 1 January 2004 or the date they are fully eligible.

Please note:

For those who did not retire as Reservists the 20-year requirement must be Active Military Service for both CRSC I and CRSC II. Civil/Federal Service cannot be combined to satisfy the 20-year minimum.

CRSC is for military retirees only. Widows/ widowers of military spouses or other family members are not eligible to receive this compensation.

Eligibility Determination

Applicants who meet all of the eligibility requirements for either CRSC I or CRSC II will be further considered for Combat Analysis of their disabilities.

Applicants who do not meet all of the eligibility requirements for either CRSC I or CRSC II will be sent written confirmation of their ineligibility and have the opportunity to be reconsidered if additional supporting documentation is provided. For information on how to request reconsideration, click here.

(This is from the US Army Human Respurces Command site-also this topic is discussed with all updates at Military.com:

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...al-compensation

Edited by Berta