Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health C&p

Rate this question

Detonator

Question

I filed an increase claim for insomnia and a new claim for depression related to pain and sleep issues. At the C&P the psychiatrist said, "I'm here to do an update exam on you." I told him what exams (Insomnia and Depression) I was there for and that I'd never had a mental health C&P before. He looked puzzled and then started "rapidly" firing demographic questions at me (family, medications, work history, physicians, medical problems). He handed me a depression survey to fill out and said we were done.

The C&P maybe lasted 20 min in total. He was only "concerned" with the heavy amounts and types of psych meds and sleeping pills I take. He didn't ask any questions about my insomnia or depression.

Has anyone had a mental health C&P like that before? I thought they were supposed to ask all kinds of questions related to the issues. Strange for sure....hopefully the exam results will be favorable.

Edited by Detonator

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It is difficult to determine exactly how long each C&P exam might require. I have had one MH exam for depression secondary to chronic pain. It was given by a psychologist and took about 30 minutes. They asked a lot of the same general questions you described. I was not given any survey, but then again, my exam was years ago. That might be something new that they do now.

If you are taking what they said were 'heavy' amounts of meds, it can factor in to your situation.

Probably one of the oddest ratings tables is the one the VA uses for evaluating MH ratings. Unlike concrete range of motion vs. percentages, the MH table is completely different. It is based on a combination of factors that are supposed to provide a perspective of the MH impact on your overall functionality. It includes social and employment factors, how you dress, ticks (mannerisms you may not see but others might), the way you interact, whether you can form relationships, maintain a job, etc... Physical issues can impact those. For example, if you fell off a tank and injured your back, 20 years later it can impact your social life and motivation in a number of ways. It kind of all adds up.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of initial ratings that are granted are often what we call lowball ratings that are increased to a more accurate rating via reconsideration, NOD or appeal. I was given 10% initially, but eventually increased to 30% on appeal.

I hope others here will share their opinion about their experiences. I wish you the best luck on your claim.

Thank you Vync for the reply. Hopefully the evaluator will review my past notes carefully. I keep checking to see if the C&P reports have shown up in the Myhealthevet blue button but nothing so far. It's been over 3 weeks. :(