VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Carpal Tunnel Question (Sc Right Hand) Is Left Cts An Automatic Secondary?

Rate this question

Dschiz CPO

Question

My history: * I am right handed

1. I am already Service Connected for Right CTS at 10% since I had a diagnosis while in service.
Question: *Would my increase be 30% since it is moderately severe and my dominant hand?

Question: Does my Left hand automatically get rated since it is a VA bilateral diagnosis? *must I secondary left to right when filing for increase?

2. I am Service Connected for Right Epicondylitis (limitation of elbow 10%).
Question: What can I expect the increase to be from my (#2) results below IF any? Does Distal Ulnar Neuropathy involve the SC elbow condition? ***I am assuming I get the higher of the two upper extremity percent's not to pyramid.

3. I have no diagnosis for my Left CTS or Left Epicondylitis while in service but I complained about both hands tingling upon exit interview.
Question: Will it be difficult to get left CTS hand and/or left elbow secondary to my SC right? *if needed...

(I have VA diagnosis for right and left Carpal Tunnel)

Results:

Nerve conduction study and needle EMG are performed in bilateral upper extremity. Full report will follow.

In summary,

1. There is evidence of moderately severe bilateral median neuropathy at the wrist (Carpal Tunnel syndrome) worse on the left side.

2. There is also evidence of bilateral distal ulnar neuropathy with mild bilateral elbow entrapment worse on right side.

3. No evidence of cervical radiculopathy.

4. Suspect of diffused sensory dominant peripheral neuropathy Will order wrist splinter and elbow pads and recommend neuropathy work ups.

~~median nerve 8515

Incomplete:
Severe 50 40
Moderate 30 20
Mild 10 10

~~ulnar nerve 8516

Incomplete:
Severe 40 30
Moderate 30 20

Chief Hospital Corpsman *Retired*

HMC (FMF) (1989-2013)

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

You can be rated on one hand or feet without being rated on the other.  But let's say if you have a bad right knee and you were compensating for that bad right knee by putting more stress on your good left knee and now your left knee is bad, the left knee become a SC because of the right knee.  You said the VA diagnosed you with carpal tunnel for both hands...  Did you get rated for both hands?  It sounds like you didn't so you kind of answered your own question...  They don't need to automatically give you a rating on both extremities.  But you can say because of your right hand injury, it causes you to put more stress on your left hand which in turn has worsened...

But maybe someone else know more then me about this?