Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cg Does Not Have Medical Record.

Rate this question

DisplacedCoastieinCanada

Question

Hi there, I'm actually here to ask this question on behalf of my ex husband, who served 4 years in the Coast Guard.

He is about to apply for Disability Compensation for his ankle, and hip. He tore a bunch of tendons in his ankle while he was in. I was able to acquire the hospital notes for his visit, but his xray does not exist there anymore as they are only required to keep their records for so many years. My ex was discharged in 2003.

Furthermore, my ex somehow has his medical record! I know that he is in no way supposed to have it...the CG should have sent it off to a records center or the VA, right?

I'm wondering at this point how he can prove that his condition now happened while he was in the CG, and whether his missing medical record would help or hurt his case.

I tend to think it would look very bad for the VA to reject his claim based on the fact that the military lost his record. Then again, if they can't obtain the information to substantiate his claim, who knows? His current situation is deteriorating...he has now been diagnosed with athritiis in his hips, likely as a result from over compensating on his ankle for so long. He works a very physical job and I can only see his pain getting worse in the coming years.

Has anyone had experience with the VA not having their military medical record? I'm really hoping this does not prevent him from being able to be approved for Disability.

Thanks!

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Hi there jbasser, thank you for your response! I'm not sure however, that they would have a copy of his medical record at all. The one my ex had at our home was the original medical record. This is the same medical record I was not allowed to even bring home for a day because of the importance of maintaining the integrity of the information inside. I'm thinking if he has the original...there probably can't be another copy that they would have sent to St Louis, or anywhere for that matter. I should mention as well that the minimal hospital notes that I was able to get my hands on were from a civilian hospital that he was seen at.

If I'm correct, my ex has the only copy of his record and was not supposed to be sent home with it. I've heard of situations similar to this happening years ago in the CG before they started really cracking down on their documentation practices.

So if my assumption is correct and he has the only copy, I'm wondering how or if he will be able to file a disability claim. How could the VA verify his injuries? On the same token, how they could argue against the fact they he sustained those injuries during that time? I'm just trying to gauge what their response might be when he goes forth with his claim and they are unable to locate his medical record.

Edited by DisplacedCoastieinCanada