T&p

Rate this question

jimlane1949

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No, from what I understand you just put the request in writing that you want your status to be considered for Permanent and Total status and they (VARO) review your claim to see if your condition(s) would qualify.

No, from what I understand you just put the request in writing that you want your status to be considered for Permanent and Total status and they (VARO) review your claim to see if your condition(s) would qualify.

This is my first ever post - I have been rated in October 100% SC for Hepatitis C and Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS or CFS) caused by the Hep C. However though I have not worked since April of 99 I am not considered Permanent and Total. My question is how do you apply to have this P&T status - can it really be as simple as just writing them and requesting it?

Requesting it is as simple as a written letter, but getting it approved is another matter:-) Basically, if you can get a doctor to say soemthing to the effect of "patient ABC's disability of XYZ is static and will not improve in his/her lifetime" then you have a good case for P&T. If you can't get a doctor to admit that your condition is static then there is no reason to poke a sleeping bear IMO:-)

My advice would be to get something in writing from your doctor to submit with your letter, OR, if you already have something in your records saying soemthing to that effect, then photocopy that portion of your medical file and send it in with your claim.

P.S. - It's not unheard of for the VA to approve P&T without any new evidence submitted (based solely on your existing medical file), so don't take my opinion as a "must"...I just like to do things on the safe side:-)

Your medication can play a big role in your T&P. Lets be honest, who is going to hire somebody that is loaded with medication. Like Jay said, a letter from a doctor along with a med record couldn't hurt. Hepatitis C and Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome alone should give you P&T . Just my 2 cents worth.

" Main Mortuary Vietnam 3-67 Thru 3-68 "

....Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses....

..Dr Paladin 1883..

Yeah I've been on medications - too numerous to list - for over 6 years now. I am lucky to get 4 hours of sleep (2 two hour intervals) a night though I've been taking sleeping meds for these 6 years (I've tried each and every type over the course of this span). I am forced to lie down from the brutal fatigue I face at unpredictable times during the course of every day - at times I sleep at others I'll just lie there for up to 3 hours trying to "quiet my brain" which roars 24 hours a day. I have numerous symptoms that is also too many to list. The worst of which is my inability to exercise or do anything involving exertion - weird in that my entire life I was a very productive worker, husband, and person. I have not been able to go through a day without a nap - or at least lying down - during the course of a day without suffering many physical problems - one of which is very severe migraines.

So enough of the background - the reason I've become interested in being rated for T&P is: One, I believe it to be the case as there is no cure for my disease nor one on the horizon; and two my daughter is a freshman in college and could use the income that the VA would provide with this rating. I have so much documentation over the course of the past 6 years but since I went to the VA for my health care I've pretty much stopped going to private MD's as my BCBS insurance lasped - so the VA has my 4 inch file of my medical history. So far I've been to 4 different doctors at the VA in Fort Worth and most of them I find are either unknowledgeable as to even what the disease is or are in general disbelief. Very frustrating!

So I would appreciate any more information or stories of others dealing with a simular situation as I do plan on "poking the bear" as my life has been dramatically altered through no self cause. It was nice to receive the SC and the 100% but give me my health anyday!

I did not know you had to be P&T to get collage help..... I thought 100% rateing was all you needed, shows what i know... If you write your U.S. Senators & explain your problem i'm sure they will check into your case.... Tell them everything ..meds & all... I know alot of veterans that have done this, Your senators will get you an answer & most of the time the ruleing will be what looking for... With this war going on veterans may have the better hand. Good luck

" Main Mortuary Vietnam 3-67 Thru 3-68 "

....Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses....

..Dr Paladin 1883..