Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DNEPTE "personality disorder nos"

Rate this question

reelnrod

Question

From what I have read "personality disorder" is not compensable, however I believe it to be a misdiagnosis as the secondary dx was adjustment with signs of stress.

Usual action is to separate on the spot; I was retained over a year of dx separating at EAOS

The acronym DNEPTE did not exist prior to entry is top center of Naval Hospital inpatient record. 

Claim for adjustment dx and acquired psychiatric condition were denied.

I am SC 0% fracture of  5th metacarpal 10% tinnitus; however I've had mental health issues since third year of active duty; entered March 1986 separated September 1990.

Honorable discharge characterization with codes LBK RE-4

VA has many mental hygiene issues documented, but I cannot find competent assistance locally 35904 Gadsden, AL

I understand if re-filed with a NEXUS for the 10% tinnitus exacerbating the current diagnosis of "mood disorder" and ADHD I may get benefits.

Can any weigh in with experience or referral to competent liaison near my area 35904?

Thank you for any insight.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

ReelnRod, Since your discharge in 1990, have you received a diagnosis for any MH disorder? Have you had any contact with any MH providers?

Yes, unknown to me was the active duty dx personality disorder of 1990.

In 1998, I filed a claim for fracture of 5th metacarpal (boxer fracture) this claim was due to the chronic pain of post traumatic arthritis’s in my dominate right hand, and being a truck driver jamming  gears everyday was painful, so this was no cry baby claim, and it was granted SC at 0%.

After Y2K I became suicidal over many things, and was a chronic chemically dependent person until 7/7/2007.

After many rehabs relapses and setbacks, I achieved sobriety at the above date in 2007 learning the addiction was a symptom of a condition.

I have a "problem list including several labels; however I have the following diagnosed mental health conditions: ADHD, Mood Disorder NOS, Bipolar Disorder, and Anxiety. Physical diagnosis include mal-union fx distal radius dominate wrist, herniated disc at T-9, L-4, and L-5; with a congenital stenosis inoperable. None of these conditions are Service Connected.

In 2008 I filed a VA claim for benefits for depression, and increase of percentage of 5th metacarpal, bi-lateral hearing loss, tinnitus, and non-service connected pension.

I was granted the non-service connection, no increase for 0% fracture, and SC 10% for tinnitus, the denial stated I was treated for something other than depression, so I got the records to find personality disorder diagnosis primary for previous treatment for adjustment disorder with signs of stress. I also filed for and received SSDI Award for Mood Disorder, and Post Status wrist fracture.

I refiled last year for every mental health conditions on my "problem list" and increase of 0% metacarpal fx/arthritis; a psychiatrist wrote a nexus for current mood disorder more likely than not started as an adjustment disorder diagnosed in service. It was just denied.

My thoughts now are the claims should have been simply for current NSC Mood Disorder exacerbated by the SC 10% Tinnitus; then list all of my other NSC physical conditions. At the moment this is a depressing denial, and there are no expert local resources to help.

Thank you for any opinion. Best regards,

Your MH history is a bit unique in that you were retained in service for a year following a diagnosis of personality disorder/adjustment disorder. You are correct in that personality disorders are not typically compensable, however you also have a diagnosis of adjustment disorder. In some cases, chronic adjustment disorder is compensable but would require a continuity of symptoms following your hospitalization and a current diagnosis that is relatable to that event. Did you receive any outpatient treatment during that year following your hospitalization? 

You mentioned that you have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. When did you receive this diagnosis and are you currently being treated for bipolar disorder? I ask because bipolar disorder is compensable. Depression, mood swings, anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse are all symptoms and behaviors which can be attributed to bipolar disorder. A current diagnosis and ongoing treatment for bipolar disorder, along with a medical opinion that what you experienced in service was a bipolar event, mischaracterized as a personality disorder, is a very winnable claim.

Edited by bluevet

Your MH history is a bit unique in that you were retained in service for a year following a diagnosis of personality disorder/adjustment disorder. You are correct in that personality disorders are not typically compensable, however you also have a diagnosis of adjustment disorder. In some cases, chronic adjustment disorder is compensable but would require a continuity of symptoms following your hospitalization and a current diagnosis that is relatable to that event. Did you receive any outpatient treatment during that year following your hospitalization? 

You mentioned that you have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. When did you receive this diagnosis and are you currently being treated for bipolar disorder? I ask because bipolar disorder is compensable. Depression, mood swings, anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse are all symptoms and behaviors which can be attributed to bipolar disorder. A current diagnosis and ongoing treatment for bipolar disorder, along with a medical opinion that what you experienced in service was a bipolar event, mischaracterized as a personality disorder, is a very winnable claim.

Yes I have been followed by VA and private physician for bipolor dx amd mood dx nos and ADHD continous treatment for 8 years, I was granted NSC Penson because VOCREHAB said I was not fit for the program, and SSDI ALJ granted SSDI due to mood dx NOS & ununited fx of dominate hand.

Yes I have been followed by VA and private physician for bipolor dx amd mood dx nos and ADHD continous treatment for 8 years, I was granted NSC Penson because VOCREHAB said I was not fit for the program, and SSDI ALJ granted SSDI due to mood dx NOS & ununited fx of dominate hand.

Right. What you really need to do is to prove a nexus between your in service hospitalization and you current bipolar diagnosis. This really is not difficult to do at all. I was in the exact same boat as you. I was discharged from the Army 20 years ago after a 30 day psychiatric hospitalization. They also misdiagnosed me with the dreaded "personality disorder". This was no mistake. For decades, the Army dished this diagnosis out to veterans with mental health issues, preventing them from gaining access to the benefits that they are entitled to. I filed my claim for service connected bipolar disorder 2 1/2, which was denied. I got an IMO from a psychologist who is an expert in VA disability examinations. This was not cheap, but it was worth every penny! This was the single piece of favorable nexus evidence in my file. I just won my DRO appeal last week. 100% rating. If I were you, I would get my IMO before I even bother filing the claim. Submitting your nexus evidence with your "Fully Developed Claim", could very well get you benefits within a matter of months. If you want the name of the doctor who did my IMO, send me a private message.

Edited by bluevet

Thank you bluevet I am looking to get an IME from a psychologist to connect service and current; my issue with misdiagnosed personality dx is that on the naval hospital record it has that acronym top center of the page "DNEPTE" did not exist prior to entry.... once I recover this depression.