Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Primary Care Doctor not availible

Rate this question

MRmonkey

Question

Hi,

Its me again. I live in a rural area and fall under a CBOC. My primary care doctor at this VA clinic stopped working there 4 months ago. I had no idea until I called my nurse team in a horrible amount of pain. The nurse and the doctor does not work there anymore. I called the primary care management team at the VAMC I fall under and informed them of my situation. They told me to hold out 3 more months until the new nurse and doctor start working there. They told me to use the Veterans Choice program. The program told me to have my primary care doctor put in a referral. The primary doctor manager told me to pay out of pocket at my local civilian emergency room if I need medical help. 

Has does a veteran navigate the VA without primary care? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am still waiting for a call back from the PT advocate. Thanks.

2 answers to this question

First go to patient advocate file a complaint, if no results go to Director office

file another complaint. Even if your doctor is no longer there you still should have been assign

a primary care. Most clinic in rural area should have someone there  in the clinic to assist you

with this problem. I wouldn't pay out of pocket being 100% for what. This is a good reason email Bob or the Under

Secretary . VC is a good program if you ever get approve for it and better. It took me 3-4 months and 5-6 consults

but I finally got approve only after emails to both above. It was a slow process for me just hope it wont be for you. RU

That is very sound advice. I called the PT advocate and she informed me that I had 3 options, and that was it. 1. Drive and hour and 20 minutes to the large VA, and have a primary care doctor there. 2. Call the local CBOC, and they will forward my medical concerns to the "covering" doctor. 3) Use the Veterans Choice Program. I informed her that I cannot drive to the large VA. I then informed her that every time I used the "covering" doctor for medical help, I had never been called back to know what medical action is needed or I need to take. (The doctor does not physically see me, the CBOC nurse calls them). The last point I made is that I requested a Veterans Choice referral months ago, and it has not been approved. I had a session with my counselor via telemed ( Video conferencing), and explained my frustration with the VA. She looked in the system, and confirmed the lack of medical availability on the part of the VA. She promptly got on the phone and called her boss. I have an appointment today with the big wigs at the VA today, as I have an appointment there, and someone to drive me. She also mentioned that I have an appointment with a Primary care doctor at the large VA at the end of the month. The VA did not call me to set this up. The appointment desk was told to put this appointment in without calling me. My counselor informed me that "they do this to make it look like the PT misses an appointment, and it is their fault". She has my back. Thank god.