Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hurry up and wait!!!

Rate this question

ADodge

Question

Ok so last week I submitted my request for a complete copy of my Service record.  This is the response I got via email 

Thank you for submitting a request to the National Personnel Records Center.

We have received your signature authorization for request number X-XXXXXXXXXX

The average response time on the majority of these types of requests is three to four weeks, however, on occasion a greater response time may be experienced. We service approximately 20,000 requests each week and are working earnestly and successfully at reducing our response time.  Our goal is to reduce our response time on these types of requests to ten days or less.

Thank you.

End of auto-generated message

So let me translate this lengthy message in 4 short words " HURRY UP AND WAIT"    SERIOUSLY    I am totally LMFAO 

Well I'm sure I will be contacting my congressman sooner or later regarding my case but I'm holding off because I want to contact him once about the whole case and not piece meal it!!! In other words I don't want to be a PITA when it comes to dealing with his office and staff.  Years ago I worked for the congressman in my district and found that they seem to work more for those who had it together than for those who seem to be all over Jack's proverbial kitchen!!! And though that may not be the case in this day and age.  I just think that will work better.  SO believe me I absolutely believe and know where you are coming from as far as this so called 3 to 4 weeks promise but sometimes longer issue.  And which we all know the sometimes longer is the actual time frame all of us are looking at when it comes to getting records from the archives.  Nothing like making a person feel OLD!!!! Hmmmmm  Telling a person that their records are in the ARCHIVES!!! Lets see I left active duty and reserve in 1986.  That was 29 almost 30 years ago.  However, by all standards it is 50 years that makes something, anything an antique!!! Yet my records are archived!!!!  And I feel like an antique as far as my military service record goes!!!!  And by the sound of it they are NOT going to tea stain the pages!!!! I am going to get a CD copy of my Service Record!!!!   Well, how will I know EVERYTHING is contained in that record???? It really is something when we are all left to trust that certain individuals will do the job they are assigned to do without skipping over anything!!!! I trust that they will do their job with the very same due diligence and pride that I did my job when I was active duty and also a GSA employee!  And that is the best we can all hope for, because there is no way I can rely on my memory to make sure all documents are present and accounted for, that's for damn sure!!!!  LMAO.   :lol:   

After a few weeks went by, I logged a complaint via IRIS as to why it has taken a week longer than the 20 days allowed.  I got it about a week later from that point.

So, ADodge, that 's something to keep in mind.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Telling a person that their records are in the ARCHIVES!!! Lets see I left active duty and reserve in 1986.  That was 29 almost 30 years ago.  However, by all standards it is 50 years that makes something, anything an antique!!! Yet my records are archived!!!!  And I feel like an antique as far as my military service record goes!!!!  And by the sound of it they are NOT going to tea stain the pages!!!! I am going to get a CD copy of my Service Record!!!!  

Actually your records are archived every time you PCS from station to station or your status changes (active duty to dependent). The Archives have caves were most of the records are stored. They have to physically retrieve them from the caves, then send them to be scanned into VBMS. They organize your records on the CD and provide a nice index you can click on for each record.

Travis AFB was able to provide me with a CD that covered 2004-2015 in 30 days. The Archives provided me with 2 discs from 1986-2013 (via Congressional).