Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Essential tremor

Rate this question

Gunnerdad

Question

Can benzene exposure cause essential tremor.  As an aircraft mechanic and gunner in Viet Nam I was drenched in JP4 while refueling my CH-47.

It was dark thirty in some outpost fuel stop and no where to wash off.  Sat soaked in it till we returned to our base which was 1-1/2-2 hours flying time away.

Went in and sat in shower for an hour or so to try to get it off my skin.  I smelled of Aviation Fuel for days and felt out of sorts but never went on sick call.

Started in my lower legs, but has slowly moved up my body over the past 10 years or so.  Have developed severe restless leg syndrome as well.

Total interrupts my sleep patterns when I flinch every few minutes.  No cancer.  Developed Graves Disease in the late 90's. 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Can benzene exposure cause essential tremor.  As an aircraft mechanic and gunner in Viet Nam I was drenched in JP4 while refueling my CH-47.

It was dark thirty in some outpost fuel stop and no where to wash off.  Sat soaked in it till we returned to our base which was 1-1/2-2 hours flying time away.

Went in and sat in shower for an hour or so to try to get it off my skin.  I smelled of Aviation Fuel for days and felt out of sorts but never went on sick call.

Started in my lower legs, but has slowly moved up my body over the past 10 years or so.  Have developed severe restless leg syndrome as well.

Total interrupts my sleep patterns when I flinch every few minutes.  No cancer.  Developed Graves Disease in the late 90's. 

I would claim it.  I was told many symptoms from exposure may not show up for years.  I have RLS that is rated 0%, from Gulf War exposure.  Im have an appeal in for increase

I would claim it.  I was told many symptoms from exposure may not show up for years.  I have RLS that is rated 0%, from Gulf War exposure.  Im have an appeal in for increase

Have you found anything that helps RLS?  Homeopathic stuff helps some.  May concern is the ET started as pulses in my lower legs.. Kind of feels like my skin is crawing.  

Looks like a ghost just touched my skin as you see a small indentation for a second or two.  It has now moved up to my stomach and I now get major twitches in my stomach muscles

that can make sleep difficult at best.

The only thing that helps me is the medication for RLS.  I'm on a very high dose of Ropinirole.  I get about 2 or 3 episodes of RLS daily, and lose a ton of sleep because of it.  The highest recommended dose is 4 mg per day, and I am on 4mg 3 times per day. 

As for the ET, I would definitely claim that.  I can only imagine what you are going through, and wish you very much luck with your claim. 

I don't think they know what causes essential tremors.  I have read that about 20% of the cases they see might be genetic or familial, but that's only in cases with multiple members of the same family that has the condition.  It could also be due to related exposures to whatever caused it by family members.  I lived across from the Rocky Mountain Arsenal for years before I joined the Army.  The Mustard Gas that polluted the area could be a causative factor, but then again, I worked on cars from the time I could hold a wrench...