Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI/ PTSD

Rate this question

Darryl ace

Question

My Name is Ace i enter into the army from 1979 to 1985 i was on the all army boxing team and boxed for 6 years, I had over 100 bouts in the army, i hurt my rt hand in 1982 from boxing and had surgery. i was knoted unconsciousness in 2 of my fights. I am now getting 10% for my right hand and i am putting in a claim for TBI, any help on filing my claim? open for advice, also i don't have my medical recorders. thanks

Edited by Darryl ace

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

The TBI criteria is here:

You will need to get copies of all of your medical records. I assume the hand SC is due to the Boxing but not sure so you will need proof of the times you were knocked unconscious.

Your VA medical records can be requested from your VAMC and the inservice Medical records can be obtained at http://www.archives.gov/.

Getting those records will take time so, if you feel you will need buddy statements, now is the time to try to get them.

Berta's advice, is, as usual, sound.  YOu need to get your medical records.  VA has a duty to assist, but dont expect them to do that.  They may or may not.  Do you want to leave your future to chance by someone you have never met doing their job?  I dont.  VA "looks" for glitches in your case.  If you dont have one, they make em up.  

Be realistic about the time frame, knowing you will likely be denied the first time.  ITs not that you did anything wrong, but they just deny about 85% of first time claimants. 

Do you have a representative (such as a VSO or lawyer)?  Did you bring up your questions to him or her?  Do they return your calls?  A rep can be a good help, but they can also sabatoge your claim.  Be on the alert for your rep.  Get an ebenefits account if you dont already have one.  Does your claim show up there?  If not, you need to find out why, after a reasonable period of time