Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim for Bilateral Flat Feet

Rate this question

ejoys29

Question

My flatfeet were determined not service connected by the VA. Yes, I had them upon entering, but they never bothered me. I continued to have problems with my feet over the years during my military stint. One orthopedic surgeon even asked me how I got into the military in the first place. The Navy even made custom inserts from using molds of my feet to assist me and it was unsuccessful. My entrance exam says that my feet were "abnormal." But, I was allowed to serve. My question is this; since the condition existed when I enlisted (although I never had any pain or trouble), are there no grounds on which to appeal?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

you had problems with your feet during active service  and was it documented if so

appeal the denial the fact being the active service aggravated you Flatfeet which are worse after your tour then they were before you entered Are you seeing a podiatrist if  not start seeing one compare your foot condition NOW to before you entered.

On 2/4/2016 at 1:17 PM, ejoys29 said:

My flatfeet were determined not service connected by the VA. Yes, I had them upon entering, but they never bothered me. I continued to have problems with my feet over the years during my military stint. One orthopedic surgeon even asked me how I got into the military in the first place. The Navy even made custom inserts from using molds of my feet to assist me and it was unsuccessful. My entrance exam says that my feet were "abnormal." But, I was allowed to serve. My question is this; since the condition existed when I enlisted (although I never had any pain or trouble), are there no grounds on which to appeal?

can't answer the question about feet but ponder this. i hurt my back in the army. a few years later i went back on active duty in the navy. my back injury was well documented on my physical but they let me in. many years later i received a medical discharge (and almost $32,000) because of my back. they called it pre existing, aggrevated on active duty.

2 hours ago, ejoys29 said:

So, iceturkee, did the VA grant you compensation for your back?

yes, i am 40 percent. but when i was discharged in 1988, i was only 10 percent. took me about 15 years to get the percentage increased.

from what you have posted about your feet, i would think you could argue pre-existed (so the military gave you a waiver and said you were physically qualified) and that it was aggrevated on active duty. good luck! :-)