Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD timeline

Rate this question

jenni2005

Question

So I feel like I should know this answer (because I am dealing with the VA ha!) but I wanted to see what anyone else thought.  I filed my claim in Feb 2015, denied one of my claims and received letter in May.  Sent in NOD and all paperwork that went along with it in June, which it was received around the 9th. At one point, ebenefits had an estimated date of completion, but after the update, one of many, there is no longer a date. My status on the appeals page is "appeal pending-notice of disagreement" and that has been that way for as long as I can remember. The location is at "originating VA office".  A couple weeks ago, I emailed the VA and got a scripted email back saying NODs usually take 196 days, bla bla bla. So my question, what is the next step?  Is the originating va office the place where I had my C&P?  I've heard plenty of stories about appeals taking years, so I hope I'm not one of those unlucky people. Also, if they deny this appeal (which i feel like it's written very clearly of my injury while on active duty) what happens after?   Thank you!

3 answers to this question

Hi, this is my first time on this website, I have been in the process of an appeal since 11/2011, I went through the american legion to help me with this and also my county veteran's office.  hoping to one day get a letter in the mail putting this to an end.  my next step which has been at this stage since last summer, is a "video interview" with the VA law judge.  My claim started 2009, the denied it initially and then thats when i asked for the american legion to help, submitted an appeal again, came back 0% service connected,  which took about a year or more, then I was awarded 10% and I appealed that in 11/2011, and that staged in stage on until 06/2015 and that's when I get the NOD, and then I returned the papers, and have been sitting in video mode since.  not sure what the next step is, I know it isn't right for it to take this long for people that sacrificed for their country!  hope you find out something  soon!! 

Jenni;

I filed my NOD back in November 2014 and last month on the great advice here I emailed the Office of the Under Secretary and I filed an IRIS online.  Within days I had the VA calling me saying my NOD basically "missed a step" and that it was sitting in "idle mode".  The lady I spoke to on the phone said she would get the RO office involved.  The next thing I knew, I had a call from the appeals office stating my hearing was scheduled and low and behold I received a letter a few weeks ago for my now upcoming DRO review hearing this Friday!

When you filed the NOD did you in fact request for a DRO review hearing?  Unless you did this they are not obligated to give you an "in person" hearing and they can actual decide the NOD with or without you present.....

Here is the email for the Office of the Under Secretary for Benefits:

OfficeoftheUnderSecretaryforBenefits@va.gov

https://iris.custhelp.com/ - this is the IRIS online info

It can't hurt to inquire!

US Navy Desert Storm Veteran
Proudly served my Country!!! :biggrin: