VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thyroid Cancer

Rate this question

qrdgv2tebc

Question

Had my thyroid out about ten days ago, took everything except partial stem,feel like crap, had staples out about a week ago, hope to get strips out today,

Call the Va about claim under AO for thyroid cancer and it's side effects, like weight gain, chronic fatigue, hot and cold up's and downs, depression.

Va ask if i had AO exam--Yes

VA ask was i exposed to herbicdes like AO and where---Yes exposed to AO Korea 1969-70

VA ask if my unit was on the list of unit exposed to AO, Korea--Yes 2nd/10th Cav

VA said put your claim for thyroid cancer and it's side effects under AO-presumtive

I told them that even though Thyroid cancer is not on the list of diseases on the AO list

VA said does'nt make a difference, still put in my claim.

Anything wrong with this picture. Is this the playing game?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Had my thyroid out about ten days ago, took everything except partial stem,feel like crap, had staples out about a week ago, hope to get strips out today,

Call the Va about claim under AO for thyroid cancer and it's side effects, like weight gain, chronic fatigue, hot and cold up's and downs, depression.

Va ask if i had AO exam--Yes

VA ask was i exposed to herbicdes like AO and where---Yes exposed to AO Korea 1969-70

VA ask if my unit was on the list of unit exposed to AO, Korea--Yes 2nd/10th Cav

VA said put your claim for thyroid cancer and it's side effects under AO-presumtive

I told them that even though Thyroid cancer is not on the list of diseases on the AO list

VA said does'nt make a difference, still put in my claim.

Anything wrong with this picture. Is this the playing game?

I had thyroid papillary cancer caused by ionizing radiation, but looked at AO/dioxin as a cause too.

Evidence isn't strong, but there is some pointing to dioxin as a thyroid cancer cause, at least in lab animals.

The experiment following showed a significant increase in both liver and thyroid cancer in lab rats exposed to elevated levels of dioxin:

Kociba RJ, Keyes DG, Beyer JE, et al. 1978. Results of a two-year chronic toxicity and oncogenicity study of 2,3,7,8-TCDD in rats. Published in Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 46:281-287

Research will at least give you medical information pointing at a possible dioxin/thyroid connection. Everything like this that you can find is initial medical evidence, until you can find an MD who will write about a possible connection.

Good luck,

Ralph

I am glad this operation is over for you- yes by all means put in a claim---

I saw some association of thyroid cancer as adenocarcinoma on the internet.

Although there are only certain main types cancers listed in 38.CFR 3.309- the list of soft tissue sarcomas is extensive.

An AO cancer could fall with anyone of the many types of STS cancers on this list.

This BVA case shows what I mean:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files2/0413922.txt

"ORDER

Service connection is granted for adenocarcinoma of the

esophagus."

There were medical opinions for and against this claim as due to the veteran's exposure in Vietnam.

The veteran had three strong medical opinions in support of the claim but the VA had this:

"The examiner stated that the

Agent Orange protocol says that carcinoma of the esophagus is

not an accepted diagnosis from Agent Orange, it seemed as

likely as not that this carcinoma of the esophagus could be

related to Agent Orange.

In July 2003, the veteran's case was referred to the Under

Secretary for Health. The Chief Public Health and

Environment Hazards Officer provided a statement."

BUT- "In sum, the Chief Public Health and Environment Hazards

Officer stated that she could not say that it was likely or

at least as likely as not that esophageal cancer was the

result of exposure to herbicides used in Vietnam. However,

the Board finds it significant to note that she was requested

to state whether it was likely, as likely as not, or

unlikely, that the veteran's esophageal cancer was related to

Agent Orange. While, she indicated that she could not say

that it was likely or at least as likely as not that

esophageal cancer was the result of exposure to herbicides

used in Vietnam, she did not state that it was unlikely or

rule out that possibility. She basically indicated that it

was not currently recognized by IOM and that prevented her

from stating that it was likely or at least as likely as not

that esophageal cancer was the result of exposure to

herbicides used in Vietnam. Conversely, the three other

physicians opined that it was as likely as not that the

veteran's esophageal cancer was the result of exposure to

herbicides used in Vietnam. "

The claim was granted.

These types of claims with cancers not on the main AO list -that are soft tissue sarcomas usually require a strong medical opinion and it pays to give the IMO doctor the complete list of all cancers -to include the STS list from 38 CFR 3.309.

The medical terminology for cancers is quite extensive.The medical records often need a complete review.

I received a claim from a widow via one of my vet orgs- she was shocked at the denial- her husband died of lung cancer and the MOPH had supported the AO claim and was surprised at the denial too.

However- the claim was denied because the veteran had a form of basal cell cancer that did not have it's origin in his lungs and was not

an Agent Orange type of cancer. All I could suggest was that she could consider obtaining an independent medical opinion

that could possibly reveal that the original type of cancer fell into an AO criteria and then metasized into his lungs. It was difficult to determine if this claim could ever succeed.

The above BVA vet had very good medical opinions that covered all the bases they have to.

I thought it was significant that the veteran's med opinions carried more weight that the VA examiner and the VACO Chief Public Health and Environment Hazards

Officer.

I put in for tonsil/lymphnodes cancer and was denied because it wasn`t on the list. You should put in the claim in case it is ever put on the list, but you will be denied.

Good luck to you and never give up fighting the cancer. I know how you feel.

Cavman