Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Leg/Foot Nerve Claim

Rate this question

gs106

Question

I am having bilateral leg and foot pain and numbness, much worse on the left.  I intend to file a claim secondary to SC spine spondylosis.  I had an MRI through my civilian doctor and the report refers to nerve impingement.  CFR 38 has several different nerves listed and I don't know which nerves to claim.  The doctor refers to it as sciatica so I'm thinking sciatic nerve.  Does the sciatic nerve have multiple roots?  I am posting excerpts from the MRI report.  If anyone knows the name of the nerve roots involved please let me know.  Should I just file for lower extremity neauropathy and let VA sort it out?

There is complete loss of disc height at L4-5 with moderately severe loss of L5-S1.

At L2-3, in conjunction with retrolisthesis there is minimal broad-based disc bulge with mild effacement of the thecal sac.  There is moderate narrowing of both lateral recesses with possible impingement of the descending L3 nerve root on the right as best seen on T2 axial image #8.  There is mild foraminal narrowing bilaterally but no direct impingement of exiting L2 nerve roots is seen.

At L4-5, anterolisthesis appears to be related to bilateral pars defects.  There is uncovering of the posterior disc but no appreciable bulge or protrusion is seen.  There is mild effacemdent of the thecal sac across the midline related to anterolisthesis.  There is direct impingement of both exiting nerve roots due to anterolisthesis and resultant foraminal narrowing.

At L5-S1, there is broad-based disc bulge without focal protrusion.  There is mild to moderate effacement of the thecal sac across the midline.  There is probable impingement of the descending S1 nerve root on the left within its lateral recess as best seen on T2 axial image #23 due to disc bulge and posterior element hyoertrophy.  There is moderate foraminal narrowing bilaterally, with probable impingement of both exiting L5 nerve roots.  This is more likely on the left, due to combination of disc bulge and facet joint hypertrophy.

Tarlov cysts are present at the S2-3 level bilaterally, larger on the left.

I did, took them 7 weeks to get me in, then another 3 weeks to see a neurologist.  I was pushing them for Choice card referral, and they gave in, but the CC got me an appt w/outsider 1 day less, so I stuck w/VA EMG.  Got the NCV at the same time.

This was all part of the 5 months delay the VA gave me.  The Orthopedic surgeon got me the EMG mainly to rule out diabetic neuropathy, there was enough evidence to conclude that I had PN due to the drop foot. Ruling out DM II as the cause was the long way around.

Edited by pwrslm

I have another question.  My existing claim closed today so I can file the new claim.  I have an appointment with a pain clinic on Tuesday, 19 April for the pain/numbness in my legs and feet.  Should I wait and try and get notes from that visit to include in the claim?  I am filing a FDC and don't want to submit any additional evidence after I submit the claim.  Would notes from a pain clinic be helpful at all?