Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU claim; DDD and PTSD C&P

Rate this question

Art2005

Question

filed for IU last week but I don't recall asking for an increase for either of these conditions. I am rated at 90% disabled 50% for PTSD and 30% for DDD of the cervical spine, amongst other things. These two are my highest rated conditions. My computer was acting janky and I may have clicked on the wrong thing. Now, I know I re-filed for a few things that were denied previously with me having any exams. Is it possible that the VA is just reviewing my highest rated claims in an effort to decrease or increase my rating, in an effort to either get me to 100% instead of IU or just to deny IU altogether?

Also, I am pregnant and on bedrest and am fearful that I may waste my time traveling 2 hours for an appointment that requires an X-ray. I am scheduled to have labor induced on Thursday and the C&P is on Wednesday. I'm conflicted! I will call the number provided with the letter tomorrow to find out what they will be doing. I'm surprised at the turnaround since I just filed last week, but I am nervous at the same time. Last year, when I was rated from nothing to 90%, the process was really easy, almost too easy. I'm just confused about what is happening. Being so close to my due date, stressed is the last thing I need to be.

Can you guys give me some input on the IU process? Also, I go to the Hunter Holmes McGuire VAMC in Richmond, VA and my VARO is Roanoke, VA. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 answer to this question

17 minutes ago, Art2005 said:

filed for IU last week but I don't recall asking for an increase for either of these conditions. I am rated at 90% disabled 50% for PTSD and 30% for DDD of the cervical spine, amongst other things. These two are my highest rated conditions. My computer was acting janky and I may have clicked on the wrong thing. Now, I know I re-filed for a few things that were denied previously with me having any exams. Is it possible that the VA is just reviewing my highest rated claims in an effort to decrease or increase my rating, in an effort to either get me to 100% instead of IU or just to deny IU altogether?

Also, I am pregnant and on bedrest and am fearful that I may waste my time traveling 2 hours for an appointment that requires an X-ray. I am scheduled to have labor induced on Thursday and the C&P is on Wednesday. I'm conflicted! I will call the number provided with the letter tomorrow to find out what they will be doing. I'm surprised at the turnaround since I just filed last week, but I am nervous at the same time. Last year, when I was rated from nothing to 90%, the process was really easy, almost too easy. I'm just confused about what is happening. Being so close to my due date, stressed is the last thing I need to be.

Can you guys give me some input on the IU process? Also, I go to the Hunter Holmes McGuire VAMC in Richmond, VA and my VARO is Roanoke, VA. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

VBA routinely asks C&P examiners to examine for both IU factors and current symptom severity & functional impairment (which is what the disability is rating is based on). So it's standard policy, nothing you did wrong. 

Personally I think that if the veteran does not ask for an increased rating, then VA should ask the examiner to address IU only. That would save everybody some time, and save the taxpayers some cash too. But, alas, VA did not ask for my opinion on the matter.  [Although when I worked for VA I gave them all sorts of unsolicited opinions about how things should be done! ... I suspect the big wigs are glad I left. ;^]

~~~

Yes, definitely call the C&P Clinic (or contract company) to see if it's appropriate and safe to have the C&P exams! You might want to ask your OB/GYN about it too. 

~~~

What did you want to know about the IU process? 

~~~

I hope you and your baby are peachy keen throughout the birth process and afterwards, and that you and yours enjoy your new precious miracle. :O)

All the Best,

Mark

Disclaimer: Any suggestions I offer here are based on my experience as a C&P examiner. In addition to asking questions on this board, I recommend that you consult with a veterans service officer, claims agent, or veterans law attorney before making major decisions related to your claim or appeal. 

Mark D Worthen PsyD | Forensic Psychologist | Charlotte, North Carolina | PTSDexams.net (educational site: no ads, no affiliate links)