VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awarded with Sleep Apnea. Continue with CPAP?

Rate this question

VetDO

Question

Hello, 

FIrst time poster here. I was recently discharged from the Army, and was awarded 70% rating for Sleep apnea and some other minor issues. I got my CPAP machine from VA hospital after my discharged (did sleep study while active), and was told from the VA hospital to get issue a new CPAP because I moved out of state. Since then, I have received my rating (just today actually), I haven't used my CPAP because I feel like it is ineffective and I'm getting worse sleep. Will VA reduce my rating if stop using my CPAP from now on? Also, I been hearing that the VA will eventually reduce the rating for Sleep apnea. Is this true, and would I be affected with the changes? Thanks you for your respones!

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

They are not reducing the rating for SA anytime soon and that means years, if past changes are an indication. You may need to be issues an Apap (self adjusting) rather than a CPAP that needs adjusting and continual changes based on your sleep and your apnea effects. 

If you are not compliant with CPAP usage than they could presumably reduce your usage because you don't 'need' it anymore and the 50% rating is based on usage. The good thing is that in the upcoming changes appliances besides CPAP will be able to be used (oral appliances are mentioned for the first time) so that is a good thing.