Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Degenerative Arthritis

Rate this question

marinejay

Question

Is there a rating for degenerative arthritis, thanks. Rignt now i am S.C for low back strain. But my got diagnosed with degenerative arthritis and sciatica due smr's and to the military.

My question?

Is there a rating for degenerative arthritis

Should i ask for an increase in lumbar spine rating due to DGA (Arthritis) and Sciatica

Will the va rate the sciatica seperately or lump all together and give an increase

Edited by marinejay

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

MarineJay,

I have similar problems as you do. I was diagnosed with lower back strain. 3 months ago I had the same sciatica you talk about. I had an MRI done and it showed the ruptured discs and bulging discs. That is the worst pain I have ever felt. It is much worse than a kidney stone. I am in the process of getting the lower back strain changed to DDD. You can not have sciatica as a secondary to lower back strain. I have to see an ortho doc on the 27th of Dec. I believe that I have had DDD all along and VA just gave a diagnosis of lower back strain. You do not suddenly wake up one day with DDD. I expect it will be a fight to get the ortho doc to do what is right. Good luck on yours. Dale Jr. 8

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are already service-connected for your low back, you don't need to put in an additional claim for arthritis for the lower back. VA cannot award service-connection more than once for the same bodily etiology (except for the knee). This is called pyrmiading. Arthritis and a back strain are rated all according to range of motion. All conditions of the lumbar and cervical spine are rated according to range of motion except for Intvertebral Disc Syndrome, which is rated according to incapacitating episodes or range of motion whichever method results in the higher rating. If you feel your condition has worsened, then you should file for an increased evaluation.

Vike 17

Guest jangrin

Marinejay,

I would like to add. The information you have received here is excellent. In addition, you must think about how your back condition keeps you from doing your activities of daily living. Such as, inability to mow the law, or trip while walking, unable to bend to help take clothes from the dryer. Things like that.

Range of Motion is a test by the doctors to see if you have limited "function". Even if you have pain, if you can bend forward and backward and side to side, the doctors will still report that you have "normal"function with pain. Pain is not an indication of loss of function. Inability to perform range of motion, or restrictions in your ability for range of motion is what will be reportedon your examination findings by your doctors. The degree of inability is what will be rated in your claim.

If you go to an exam, I would reccommend that as soon as you feel any discomfort while doing the various range of motion stop moving and go back to a comfortable position.

If you bite the bullet and continue through the pain in order to bend completely forward, or backward, or side to side during the exam process the doctor will rate you as being more mobil than you may be. You really need t obe a "wimp" during the exam and whine about the things you truly cannot do.

Good luck on your claim,

Jangrin :)

jangrin;

You are so right about that, when i had my 1st c&p on my back, i tried to bite the bullet and did the full ROM test, and the gave me 0%, my condition got worse and i asked for an increase, i went for my 2nd exam, and the doc tried to get me to go forward more than i can, i told him no i won't b/c i can't. When my condition started to affect me, i stopped right at that point. With that and the degenerative arthritis i ended up getting 20%.

Thanks for the input, i am finally beginning to see the big pic.

marinejay :)