VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Degenerative Arthritis

Rate this question

marinejay

Question

Is there a rating for degenerative arthritis, thanks. Rignt now i am S.C for low back strain. But my got diagnosed with degenerative arthritis and sciatica due smr's and to the military.

My question?

Is there a rating for degenerative arthritis

Should i ask for an increase in lumbar spine rating due to DGA (Arthritis) and Sciatica

Will the va rate the sciatica seperately or lump all together and give an increase

Edited by marinejay

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay, The VA rates Degenerative Arthritis based on limitation of motion. See the ratings below. It is called Degenerative joint disease. If you have any nerve involvement, they will rate that Separate.

If you suffered an injury, they usually call it traumatic arthritis. It is an advancement of Arthritis at a much younger age due to accident or injury.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...0.1.1.5.2.96.26

Edited by jbasser

Well this is my situation, my range of motion is kinda limited, when i bend back, i get like a tingling sensation going down my legs. When i bend forward my back hurts real bad sometimes.

Sometimes for some reason the back of my legs (quads and calves) would have like a burning sensation, its the feeling that you get when you work them out, but alittle worse. It would happen like 1x every 2-3 months. The thing is i dont work out b/c of my back problems. Its a really irritating tingling sensation and the slightest touch hurts me really bad.

Also last tues, i was hoping under a bar (like handi cap bar)instead or walking down the stairs. When i did that i had a shooting pain down the front of my leg that hurted so bad i was out of commission for about 2 mins while i rest. The main pain was by my shins (both legs) and the muscles on the inside of my knees. that was one of the worse pains i ever had.

I went to the hospital, and the va diagnosed me with lumbar strain, but i think my pinch nerve condition is getting worse. Because now when i move in a certain way, I get the tingling sensation down my leg.

All i want is to bbe diagnosed properly, and it seems like the va can't do that. Its really bad when you know what your condition is b/c of doing research and you suggest it to your doctor and they say its not that buy something else.

Jay

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to jump start the VA by going outside for a second opinion. Go see a board certified neurologist or if you can afford it, get an MRI and call Dr Bash. This is right down his alley. He can diagnose what yuou have where you have it and probally which nerve is pinched.

Good luck

Edited by jbasser

I have an IME from Dr Bash, HE was the one who diagnosed me with the sciatica and the Advanced Degenerative arthrits of spine. I am trying to find out how the va will look at this. I was wondering if they were going to give me the run around or rate it correctly. I was trying to find out also if they may try to schedule me for a C & P. I am currently rated 20% for lumbar strain, Now i have sciatica and DGA, I know the rate the DGA separately, what i was trying to find out is will they do it separately, combine it with the lumbar strain and grant an increase and rate the sciatica separately. Of may be to save money they may combine all three and rate me @ 30 or 40%.

This can get very frustrating, the hardest thing about the va, and the more you think about it the more frustrated you become, and the more frustrated you become, the worse your conditions get and the higher your bloodpressue becomes. Its a fricking cycle that never ends.

Jay.

• HadIt.com Elder

If warrented, the VA will rate the two separately and then combine the two rating along with any other service-connected rating according to the Combined Ratings Table.

Vike 17

Thanks Vike,

I see your vikings are doing terrible this year. You guys woulda ben better off keeping tice, moss and culepeper. Atleast you guys were doing alot better.

Back to the post.

See this is all i wanted to hear, and that DAV lady was telling me something else and giving information that wasn't relevent. My other question is should i have put in for the degenerative arthritis or will the va see it and go ahead and rate it.

The only thing i have a claim in for is Sciata, maybe on monday i should put in a claim for advance degenerative arthritis. I was also wondering will the schedule me for a c&p exam still?

I know i ask alot of questions, but thats what i have you ole timers for (no pun intended). I appreciated all the help and feedback.