Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Competency claim question

Rate this question

11cvolley

Question

[Back story] Roughly 09-01-2016 I started receiving 100% P&T for PTSD, but did not receive my backpay. It is being held up by a competency claim. I submitted an IMO letter from my primary mental health doctor at the VA. My lawyer also submitted a letter on my behalf stating, 'I, [veteran], have forwarded, [IMO from va doctor], and wish to waive my 60 day due process; if, it can be found that I am competent to manage my own finances; otherwise, I request a 'face to face.' (This isn't 'word per word,' but basically what was said.)

[Fast forwarding to today] I checked E-Ben and seen a claim for Eligibility determination completed on 01-10-2017. So I called the #800 number to find out what this is. #800 says it was to release my lawyer's fee. All the #800 can tell me about my claim is that my claim for competency is still pending and I will be contacted if needed. If they released my lawyer's fee; does this mean I am near the end of this competency claim?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

On 1/27/2017 at 8:20 PM, broncovet said:

YOu should discuss this with your lawyer, but maybe so.  Did your doctor state you were competent to handle finances?

My lawyer gave me the same line, 'keep checking your banking account.' Yes, the, VA PTSD, doctor said I can handle my own finances. He put it in a letter that my lawyer request with specific wording. Stating basically this, 'I, doc's name, have been treating, veteran, since, date for ptsd. It is my medical professional opinion that, veteran, can handle his own finances without limitation.'

Figured i'd update this thread and a little rant. 800# still saying the same old BS, 'a rep has been assigned to your claim; no completion date can be given at this time; will be contacted if we need additional information.' I'm all for the VA trying to protect veterans with a competency claim; however, This waiting, 100+ days now, so long is BS... When they're supplied with a letter from the doctor, that they used to determine I am 100%, stating I am capable of handling my own money; it should be closed out asap. But nope... The VA still drags their feet. I am so tired of this hurry upp and wait game. If the VA needs something from you. You better meet their deadline or else.