• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

140%
    $2,108.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Need help with RBA correction

Question

I received the third response from the VA GC to the CAVC order to correct my RBA by replacing documents obviously missing and relevant in the RBA from the hard copy of my Medical File OPTR and IPTR maintained by the Medical Division.
  Apparently they were just dumped into contract warehouses without adequate record keeping when the VA finally computerized the Progress Notes and Examination Records.  The Pharmacy records and Lab records have been computerized since the late 1980s making it evident that there should be accompanying OPTR and IPTR to match that were requested and at one time in the Comp & Pen hard copy file but were not there when scanned into the computerized record.
It has now been over 45 days since the CAVC issued the Order to Correct the RBA to the Secretary.  I'm waiting for another 45 days to make it 90 days, 6 responses from the VA GC without the directed "status report" (only stating they are responding) before submitting a request for court ordered stipulations on what the missing records show.

Am I on track for this?
  • Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I think this is very, very very good news, since the CAVC normally just goes on the "Evidence of Record" aka RBA, and makes a decision, even tho the RBA may be inaccurate or incomplete.  This means that there might be a glimmer of accountability, so the VA in the 2 years or so it takes them to send our appeal to the BVA, could at least make sure the file is complete.  

And, its not suprising to have the VA "drag its feet" even tho the CAVC ordered them not to do that.  If I violate a "court order" then a warrent will be issued for my arrest.  When VA does it, there is no penalty, and in fact can actually repeat it multiple times for the same judge!!!!  

Now, remember, you CAN and have a obligation to help VA get applicable records.  So, if you have them, simply send them to CAVC, especially if you have pertinent evidence refuting the BVA denial!!!  

You are on trak, the only thing I suggest is send them the records yourself..this is your claim and your money..not some GS5's.  

1. I don't have the records.  My copies became paper machete in a flood.  What I have now I received from the VARO Cheyenne via copies of the hard copy C&P file when it was scanned.  It was grossly out of order with copious duplicates in such order that I believe the copying, scanning contractor in Denver padded their bill by running stacks through more than one time (based on the order of the documents in the boxes).
  2. I have some items from that file that were not included in the RBA.  I also have documents that are not included in the RBA and offered them to the VA GC's office.  I pointed out the documents that were on an earlier CD provided to me when the first CD sent to my attorney was missing a lot and I requested everything on file by CD.
  3. Have requested them from the FOIA officers repeatedly both from the Central Office and the originating VA Medical Facilities.  I'm attaching the order and the last response.  Do you think the response is responsive to the order.  I don't.  It doesn't say what has been done and no attachments showing any action has been taken other than writing a response.
  4. I will send the back up that I have that is not in the RBA with motions for court ordered stipulations by the secretary if the RBA cannot be corrected within the 21 days required for FOIA responses.  I've done all that I can to get the evidence needed to back up my claim.
  5. I'll post in March my additional effort.  I don't expect the VA GC to be able to accomplish the task.  The BVA Judge stated in the hearing, LOL.  The BVA isn't even able to get the old hard copy records from the Medical Division or the Records Management Office.
  6. Hopefully I can get a precedent setting decision that will spur the Secretary to come down on the Records Management Office and make them come up with the old originals of OPTR and IPTR records.
  7. 16 minutes ago, broncovet said:

I think this is very, very very good news, since the CAVC normally just goes on the "Evidence of Record" aka RBA, and makes a decision, even tho the RBA may be inaccurate or incomplete.  This means that there might be a glimmer of accountability, so the VA in the 2 years or so it takes them to send our appeal to the BVA, could at least make sure the file is complete.  

And, its not suprising to have the VA "drag its feet" even tho the CAVC ordered them not to do that.  If I violate a "court order" then a warrent will be issued for my arrest.  When VA does it, there is no penalty, and in fact can actually repeat it multiple times for the same judge!!!!  

Now, remember, you CAN and have a obligation to help VA get applicable records.  So, if you have them, simply send them to CAVC, especially if you have pertinent evidence refuting the BVA denial!!!  

You are on trak, the only thing I suggest is send them the records yourself..this is your claim and your money..not some GS5's.  

20171201 Clerk Order re RBA correction.pdf

20180117 VA re RBA dispute.pdf

You posted, 

I pointed out the documents that were on an earlier CD provided to me when the first CD sent to my attorney was missing a lot and I requested everything on file by CD.

Then send those documents to the Court yourself.  Put the CD in your computer, then copy the applicable documents and send them to them, OR, copy the CD and send them the cd if they accept CD's.  (I dont know this).  

Back in 2008, I discovered I was one of many Veterans, that had missing (shredded) evidence, and I submitted a "Special Handling Request due to mishandled evidence".  The VA shreded That EVIDENCE, ALSO, A FEW YEARS LATER.  

You have your work cut out for you.  Be proactive and get those documents yourself, if they are probative.  (that is, if they are medical records where the doc gave you a nexus, for exxample).  

Go to your VAMC "release of information" and ask them for a copy of your medical records.  They should provide same.  

If there is important evidence that is not VAMC, then go to that doctors office, obtain a copy and send it in.  

Given that the VA has essentially admitted your evidence was lost, you should have the benefit of the doubt (oops, you dont get that at CAVC).  However, your testimony that you sent in x document should suffice as the VA wont have a copy to testify against you.  Its true that VA is given a presumption, but you have a great rebut of that presumption, given the court ordered VA to come up with the records.  Let me know how this comess out. 

Fortunately the FOIA requests that were ignored are in the RBA.  Even the Records Management Center continued the non-denial, denial which I complained about, by sending me another copy of the C&P file instead of the Medical File.

I've downloaded all of the recent, (since computerization) from the blue button.  Only a few records are absent because of the software used at particular VA Medical facilities.  I don't think any of the missing computerized documents are probative.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Joe Tex
      I searched the forums but did not see this in the appeals section.
      I have a pending appeal for my right foot for service connection, and I'm in the process of sending a statement to the Board of Appeals.
      My question is can I ask the Appeals Board for a percentage rating prior to winning the appeal for right foot service connection.
      My reasoning is, if I just send the Appeals Board my statement without requesting a percentage and I win the appeal for right foot service
      connection, then I might have to file another appeal if the RO gives me a lower percentage, and wait another 5 years for that appeal.
      I'm unable to find any information on filing an appeal for service connection, and at the same time requesting a percentage.
      Any information would be appreciated.   Thanks
    • By ASU_0331
      So I am getting juggled a bit between VSO since my awesome last one retired so would appreciate the proper route to take.
      I was just rated at at 50% Pes Planus with Plantar Fasciitis under 5276.  This was a supplemental claim for only pes planus that was filed on 02/01/21 with a decision made on 03/12/21.  After speaking with a VSO, who read me the decision letter and raters notes, he said there is no doubt the 50% for pronounced pes planus was justified, but was not sure why they arbitrarily added plantar fasciitis to the decision.  I mentioned to the VSO that effective 02/04/21, a diagnostic code of 5269 - Plantar Fasciitis was added to the schedule of ratings - musculoskeletal system and if it was possible that they combined them under diagnostic code 5676, because that was how it was always done before and the rater did not read or know about the new diagnostic code.  He said that could be the reason.
      Just to note, I was diagnosed at the VA with bilateral pes planus in 2017 and given insoles.  I was again seen by the VA for foot pain and bilateral pes planus was again affirmed in 2018 with a different set of insoles.  This last January I again went in with foot pain where pes planus was again affirmed, had another set of insoles cast, and was diagnosed for the first time with bilateral plantar fasciitis and given steroid injections in each foot.
      Ultimately I am looking to get the plantar fasciitis rated separately from the pes planus under the new diagnostic code of 5269, which due to the severity and being bilateral would be at 30%.  In fact, my VSO had already submitted an intent to file for bilateral plantar fasciitis, arthritis of both great toes, patellar tendinosis of both knees, arthritis of both knees, and ITB syndrome as being secondary to the pes planus once it was service-connected.  The history of my pes planus dates back to my final physical and I have been receiving treatment for it since 2017 in the form of insoles when it was originally diagnosed with the VA.  It was only this last year that I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis as a result of the pes planus.
      So what route do I take on this supplemental claim?  I feel like a High level Review won't allow me to submit the VA medical records showing that I have been treated unsuccessfully for pes planus since 2017.  Is that something I can bring up in the phone conversation with the reviewer to get the plantar fasciitis rated separately under 5269?  I am not submitting any new evidence so to speak, but literally VA medical records that were already in the system for years.  The other question is, does the new diagnostic rating for plantar fasciitis even apply to me?  I filed on 02/01/21 and the new rating schedule went into effect on 02/04/21.
      I want to fight this decision because I am already rated at 70% with CAD, DMII, and Tinnitus.  Getting the plantar fasciitis rated separately would be the difference between an 86% rating rounding up to 90% and 92% rounding down to 90%.  This does not include the issues secondary to the pes planus like the arthritis and tendinosis that are under my current intent to file.           
    • By NAVY NC
      Kind of wondering if anyone has seen this before on my appeal for sleep apnea, I am confused. I had my hearing by virtual and it say the VA law judge is reviewing you claim, under compensation issues it has the following:
      Appeal received March 2020
      Up to date as of March 16, 2021, at 5:25 a.m. ET
      Status Issues Issues
        Closed Granted
      Compensation issue
    • By SPO
      Hey folks, just wanted to share some info.  I was waiting for a hearing and got some info from DAV.  If you want a virtual hearing you must call your representative and ask for it, if va.gov says video conference it won’t be scheduled until the DAV/va offices re-open.  I called and my DAV rep contacted the hearing coordinator and within a couple hours I was scheduled for a hearing in May. I sent my NOD in August 2020.  I don’t know of this applies to legacy appeals.
    • By glashutte
      I have received 100% P&T. However some very black and white conditions were denied completely.
      Should I still appeal the denied claims even though I am 100% P&T?  (it has been over 1 year since my claims were denied).
      I have 2 fears:
      1. VA will eventually one day reduce my 100% P&T randomly and I will regret NOT filing an appeal 
      2. I file an appeal for the denied claims and then the VA digs deeper into my 100% and 'changes' their mind and then reduces me. Basically I don't want to wake up the sleeping giant and would rather fly under the radar
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines