Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Average wait time for an expedited BVA Appeal decision

Rate this question

Disciple

Question

I'm hoping that someone can help me with at least an estimate on how long it takes a VLJ at the BVA to complete a decision on an appeal that has been expedited.  This is not a remand.  I was told by my attorney that my appeal was assigned to a VLJ back on 12/15/17 and that the Board approved our motion to expedite.  I also have received a letter from the BVA stating that they did grant our motion to expedite but the letter just now came in the mail but my attorney knew back in December that the request to expedite was approved because he called the Board. 

My question is...how long is the average wait time for an expedited appeal decision from a VLJ once they start working on it?  Since there seems to be a significant delay in the paperwork and updating the eBenefits website...I'm wondering if there's a delay in the BVA updating VACOLS as well (which is the database where my attorney checks for movement on my appeal).  If anyone has had experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any estimation of wait time.  Thank you in advance for your help and I'm praying for all of my fellow brothers and sisters that you receive a victorious decision soon as well.  God bless each one of you!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

@Disciple I cannot answer your question directly due to my lack of experience. I find this link helpful .... https://www.benefits.va.gov/REPORTS/detailed_claims_data.asp#Reports

open link

look to right - excel link - click on that link

then as the spread sheet comes up - click on tab at the bottom TA

see if this information is helpful. - It has a generalized time line for categories. 

Hi L,

Thank you so much for your fast reply!  I went to the page by using the link but I didn't see any TA tab at the bottom and all of the info on that page is for claims but everyone who has been through the appeals process has told me that appeals take longer to decide so I didn't want to allow shorter time frames for claims get my hopes up for an appeal decision and then be even more disappointed.  I contacted the Ombudsman via email and their reply has proven to be inaccurate as well because they told me that we were still in a stack waiting for approval of our request to expedite.  It used to be that when you called the 800-827-1000 number, they could give you an estimated date of completion but the last time I called which was months ago, she said that there was nothing on her screen that showed one.  It's too bad that the VA doesn't have a page like the one you sent me but for Appeals instead of Claims.  Thank you again for taking the time to reply...I appreciate any insight at all and I hope yours is resolved soon, too!

@Disciple -  I think I missed a step in my directions ....  Once you see the EXCEL - icon - right hand side ..

scroll down to the bottom of the page - it has the yearly quarters sectioned off -

go to the most recent quarter- spread sheet

click on the date

once the spread sheet opens - look down at the bottom tabs

Traditional Aggregate... TA 

I believe the appeals categories is a part of this page..... 

I sometimes think faster than I type- missing steps.... sheesh.   sorry 

Edited by L

Thanks L!  I was able to view the spreadsheet but unfortunately, it didn't provide what I was looking for.  Oh well...I suppose this is a massive lesson in patience.  Thank you again for taking the time to send me the link and I wish you all the best in your dealings with the VA!

@Disciple- You are welcome- I am at 100% -

finished no more fight....Retired Navy & Retired from civilian job........now .... time for self-care! Fun! as @Berta suggests.....