Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

allergies, GERD

Rate this question

Fenway77

Question

March of 2018 I had surgery to have a cyst removed from my throat . I was never diagnosed with gerd however, I noticed that ever since I returned from Kandahar I began having serious allergies to Mold, cedar etc.. It has gotten to the point that I get bloody noses and is affecting my sleep. I made my doctor aware of this but all he could come up with is keep issuing me allergies medication. He suggested that I request for an increase since I was rated at a 0%. Today 06/4/18 I had a Dr App for with the Va for and it was for an increase. The Doctor went through a series of questions and some minor test. The doctor made it clear that I had obstructed nasal passage on both sides of my nose. I am sure what all this means, but what I do know is that its is effecting my sleep. I do have sleep apnea however , the machine isn't help me at all. Please someone help.

Also, I noticed that I have VA FORM 21-0960N-4,  on my ebenefits to complete. Who completes this .

Edited by Fenway77

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

VA FORM 21-0960N-4 is the sinus disability questionnaire (DBQ). You can take that your doc because they will need to fill it out. 

Sounds like you might have a deviated septum, nasal polyps, allergic rhinitis, and/or sinusitis. It's typical for them to give you meds, but a proper diagnosis would be to do an x-ray, and later a CT scan on your head to see what they can find out. The septum is the cartilage that goes through the middle of your nose. It can get bent out of position if you get hit in the nose. Polyps are like fluid-filled sacs that can develop in your sinuses. Nasal steroid sprays can help reduce their size, but mind kept coming back. These can partially or completely block airflow through your nose.

Let's assume they find something. You'll need a current diagnosis, injury/event relating to active duty, plus a medical opinion connecting them both together with adequate medical rationale. Look up nexus letter or medical opinion here on Hadit for some good tips.

I ran into the same problems with my CPAP. It just wasn't working. I tried every type of mask they had until I found the right one (nasal pillow). At that point, it worked better, but not like they said. I have since had nasal surgery and can breathe much better, but not perfect. Recovery was not fun at all though.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.