VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

70% rating under non service connected status on eBenefits

Rate this question

Vet 242

Question

I submitted a claim that was denied this past December.  I then received a letter at the end March from the VA stating I had a week to called back and schedule a C&P exam.  I called and scheduled my C&P for the following week which was the beginning of April.  I attended the examination for PTSD, Depression and Anxiety.  After the exam the examiner said the VA would make a determination with in 60-90 days.  It has now been 9 weeks.  I called the VA Friday.  The VA rep said it was "Decision Approval" stage and them he muttered Final Review.  He said there were "couple steps after this on and I should be notified shortly"  I checked eBenefits.  Now I am confused.  I looked under the "Disability Tab"  the Rating Circle at the top says "N/A we will have more information after we finished processing your claim, please check back in a few days" ... now the fields below have the disabilities I have applied for.  PTSD being one.  Next to PTSD  the rating is 70% but then the "status" column says "non service connected" as do my other claims.  one with 10% and three with 0%.  So I have 5 rated claims all with non service connected status.  The claim has not been closed yet but I am wondering since the claim has been "reopened" by the VA is this disability page accurate.  or not updated.  some fields are brand new claims and also I believe I saw a status change from denied to non service connected.  There appears to be updates being made.  This claim on eBenefits has a status of "complete" though so again I am confused about the information eBenefits is showing.  Also about there being a rating for non service connected disabilities.  I have researched this topic and came up with very little.  When I talked to the rep at the VA today he said he has seen Percentage Ratings being given to Non Service Connected Claims in the past.  Does anyone have an idea what may be happening or have some other information to share, I would really appreciate the assistance.  Thank you,  Vet 242

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Its hard for me to answer ebenefits questions, because you need to tatoo this on your arm to help rememeber it:

Ebenefits is unreliable.  

Because of this, it makes no sense to try and interpret something that I know to be unreliable.  Several Vets advocates advise claimants "not to check" ebenefits for that reason.  

Obviously,  70 percent "non service connected" PTSD is not a good sign.  However, this suggests you have been diagnosed with PTSD (Caluza element 1).  

Further, to be diagnosed with PTSD, you have to have a "stressor".  This suggests an "in service event" which was a stressor"  (Caluza element 2, in service event). 

Now, we get down to nexus.  You need to understand that VA does not trust private docs to diagnose PTSD..this must be done by a VA doc.  Follow me here.  So, VA apparently diagnosed you with PTSD, and they would not have done so, without a stressor.  Did one or more of your Docs write in your file that "your PTSD is at least as likely as not due to (stress event) in service?  

I can not answer if you have a nexus or not, but you may be able to read your med reports and see if your doc has provided a nexus.  

If you do have a nexus, (Caluza element 3) you should be good to go.  So, there it is.  If you have the nexus you should win your benefits, regardless if ebenefits says you are healthy enough to start for The Denver Broncos as quarterback.