Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Question

My claim has been bounced around in a million directions (from what I read/hear is normal) but on 28 August, my claim moved to "pending decision approval" I had called the VA office about the status of it since eBenefits was not working. The guy was nice and told me that this is usually the quicker part of the claim that a decision was made but it was going to require 2 supervisor signatures and was usually a 1-2 day turn around UNLESS they find an error.

For background purposes, my claim was started in February 2018, I had 23 different conditions claimed, by May 2018 I had completed 4 exams and it had been handed to the VA. My stuff went all the way to "preparation for decision" June 20th but then on July 19th it was kicked back to "initial review" and they wanted more exams. I never actually did the exams LHI essentially pulled the information out of my already completed exams and resent it to them. August my claim moved to "gathering evidence" and the VA said that LHI had still not provided them with my documents, I did call LHI multiple times where I was assured they had. I finally called the VA regional office directly where a person looked into everything and told me that LHI did submit them but the VA system did not "recognize" the files and a ticket with the IT department was submitted. On 7 August my claim moved to "preparation for decision" again.

So fast forward today.... 30 August 2018. I suddenly show "documents past due" and decided to just call the office directly again because my gut was telling me it was not something due on my part. Apparently one of the supervisors put in a request for three more specialty exams, my soul was officially crushed. 

My question is, how normal is this and has anyone else similarly experienced this with the VA process? If so how far out were you "extended" when you had new exams? Also, I really really really need 3 of my medications and that is the thing that bothers me the most, one of them through my husbands insurance is still $200 a month. 

5 answers to this question

Hey I can deffinatly see how this is frustrating but there are a few things to remember here.  First of all, since you filed for so many different things there is a really good possibility that some will be decided before others.  This is what happened to me with my first claim a year ago-  I filed for 3 things and within the first few months my PTSD was complete so they gave me 70% for it and sent the other 2 things back to gathering of evidence.  Basically instead of making me wait for all the other claimed disabilities to finish (and since they already rated me 70% for ptsd) they decided to go ahead and send me the backpay for the ptsd and began paying me at a 70% rate.  A few months later once the others finished up my rating was increased but I am thankful they didn't make me wait until they were ALL done because I needed the money.  This is quite possibly what is going on with your claim.  I would keep checking the disabilities section in ebenifits as once a claimed disability is finished (as in my situation) it will show up there but the entire claim will still show gathering of evidence or perhaps some other stage.  I know its confusing but they split claims up all the time.  Hope it all works out good for you.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:25 PM, MyGooseIsLoose said:

Hey I can deffinatly see how this is frustrating but there are a few things to remember here.  First of all, since you filed for so many different things there is a really good possibility that some will be decided before others.  This is what happened to me with my first claim a year ago-  I filed for 3 things and within the first few months my PTSD was complete so they gave me 70% for it and sent the other 2 things back to gathering of evidence.  Basically instead of making me wait for all the other claimed disabilities to finish (and since they already rated me 70% for ptsd) they decided to go ahead and send me the backpay for the ptsd and began paying me at a 70% rate.  A few months later once the others finished up my rating was increased but I am thankful they didn't make me wait until they were ALL done because I needed the money.  This is quite possibly what is going on with your claim.  I would keep checking the disabilities section in ebenifits as once a claimed disability is finished (as in my situation) it will show up there but the entire claim will still show gathering of evidence or perhaps some other stage.  I know its confusing but they split claims up all the time.  Hope it all works out good for you.

Thank you for this, I called for clarification and this is what they are doing. Such a sigh of relief, I really have some stuff I need to go to the doctor for. Today it says preparation for notification but I can’t actually see anything on ebenefits and when I called they said they can’t read me my partial decision. Time to go fishing and keep myself occupied while I wait.

Good im glad they are closing the claims they can for now.  Once the claims that they have decided on now have been "closed" it should reflect on the disabilities section on ebenifits so I would keep an eye on that.  Then they will send you the backpay for those claims which will most likely come before the BBE.  Once the claims that they are unable to close right now (which will take longer) finish then your disabilities section will update again and you will get another back pay check (pending they are approved of course).  Im glad the VA does it like this for those who have multiple claimed disabilities.  Have a good day and remember college football is on today.

By the way have you gone to the letter generator in ebenifits and looked there?  If not, I would check that asap.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:09 AM, MyGooseIsLoose said:

By the way have you gone to the letter generator in ebenifits and looked there?  If not, I would check that asap.

I got my letter tonight but still a little confused they rated me 100% but it went back to gathering evidence for those 3 things still. The letter says permanent and total. I just think it is interesting to send me back for some more appointments (which I will show up for of course).