Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To RAMP or NOT TO RAMP

Rate this question

MarineCombatVet70

Question

I had my Travel Board BVA Hearing July 2017.  I was awarded service connection for cervical disabilities and my case was remanded back to the RO.  By November 2017 I had a C&P cervical exam and my benefits increased from 60% to 90%.  Everything else that was Remanded (hearing, cancer, PTSD) has just been sitting there for over a year, including IU.

I'll be filing two more claims next week that are secondary to the above service connected disabilities with an active intent to file dated 1/25/2018. I have supporting doctors letters.

I've received numerous letters from the VA to sign up for the RAMP Program.

I was represented by the DVA but they have been unresponsive (won't return phone calls or emails) so I'm going to a County VSO to file my new claims.

Should I hold tight or op into the RAMP Program?

Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I need more info to advise.  Example:

I checked, and found there were about 113,000 Vets ahead of me at the BVA.  That made my Ramp election an easy choice.  

Has your claim been "certified" to BVA?  

Do you have a docket number?  

The big advantage RAMP has is that there is no SOC, no BVA certification.  During this time, your claim sits at the VARO for 3 years collecting dust.  If you are in the precertification period, then skip the certification and opt in to RAMP.  

If you dont know how to tell "whether your claim has been certified or not", chances are you are waiting on a SOC or certification, if your VARO decision was less than 3 years ago.  Like I said, the first 3 years of a board appeal is wasted at your VARO, with them piddling around with an SOC (1 year) and certifying (2 years).  Check your BVA chairmans report for exact average times.  I have done so, and that is where I got those numbers.  

Considering that everyone goes into Ramp, according to VA in Feb 2019, it makes sense to me to get in there early.  

I see no advantage of a useless SOC, and a 2 year delay "certifying" your claim, when this could/should be completed in 2 hours, not 2 years.   Therefore, I favor opting in to RAMP.  

If you have a BVA remand or grant, this is not a good time to opt into ramp.  You simply have to wait for a VARO implementation decision.  

However, did you know you can appeal a "grant"?  (You can appeal the effective date, or disability percentage(s).  

You can not appeal a remand, since its not a finally adjuticated decision.   You have to wait until the implementation of the remand.  If denied, then you can appeal.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use