VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Skin Disorder--lichen Planus

Rate this question

lueharbin

Question

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Guest VetWife Advocate
Dont know about here but this vet did- he was represented by my same POAs-at same VARO as me-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files1/0504784.txt

There are other claims at the BVA for this disorder- if you try a seach there at the BVA under luchen planus they will pop up.

BERTA,

Joe requested a copy of his SSDI medical records. They wrote and said he needed to name an physician where they could be sent so they could talk to him about them!!

What's with this? What would you say? Thanks, Brenda

BERTA,

Joe requested a copy of his SSDI medical records. They wrote and said he needed to name an physician where they could be sent so they could talk to him about them!!

Brenda- the VA should certainly get a copy of those SSA records- did they?

I would think- if the records are still at the office where he initially filed his SSA claim- they would let him come in and copy what he needed- at least they let us do that years ago in their Corning Office.

Rod's SSA files were enormous and contained info from a VAMC in New Jersey that the VA said had No files on him at all- it might be very difficult for them to mail the whole file and the cost of the copy fees might be quite high-

Is there a phone number on the letter ?and a contact person ? Is this SSA in Baltimore?

With a call maybe you could refine the request just to getting a copy of their medical decision from the SSA doc.

Or maybe a VA doctor would accept them? It could be quite a stack.

Probably the best thing you need would be the IMO that a SSA doctor gave him in order to support his SSA award.

I thinks vets often forget that SSA awards that support a SC condition are, in essense, IMOs from another fed agency.

The VA, when they know of the award, can often fail to get thse records- the vet has to be sure they do and then check over any denial or SOC as to how they listed the SSA records and how they applied SSA findings to the claim.

Rod had 100% SC PTSD as of 1991. However it took VA 6 years to award this and he was already dead for 3 of those years.

Most of that time the VA refused to get his SSA file (even lied to my Congressman a senators about this)and then when they did they never used the SSA award for the PTSD VA SC award.

They listed it as evidence in 2 SOCs but never even mentioned it in the narrative as they continued the denial until finally they awarded. I had an idiot SO at the time and that didnt help either.He thought a SSA award for PTSD would not support a VA claim at all.

You really to have to make sure that if you tell VA you get SSA and it can help support your SC claim-that they do get and read those records.

Edited by Berta

BERTA,

Brenda, did Joe have a psychological evaluation from Social Security? If he did or if they had gotten some records from some other source of mental health records. They may have some sinsitive notes that may not be appropriet for Joe or others to see, without a Dr. present at the time they review them. These would be personal notes from a mental health source, which might be a psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker or even an MD.

I hope this helps you to understand, it may be the private notes that the summery report was based on.

Jim S. :(