Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retired Military And Retired Civil Service

Rate this question

kkp

Question

I have a friend who spent three years in the Army, and twenty years in the seabees as an equipment operater. After his retirement from the Military He retired from a civil service job as a truck driver.

We have recently had a debate on his hearing loss. His hearing loss is signifigant from the time he joined the army to the time of his discharge from the Navy. I suggested he file a claim with the va for his hearing loss. He insist that his civil service job retirement would disqualify him from any disablity benifits from the military.

I personnally think He should file a claim for his hearing loss and get hearing aids ( He's wearing an older pair of mine at the present

I have to admit I dont know about any disability in a case like this. It seems to me he would qualify however I know the congress has been debating what they call double dipping of late. ( I know for a fact it's alright for our senators and congressmen to have three or four federal retirements, but an old fart like him as he refers to himself, I don't know.)

I feel he would be eligible for hearing aids, and perhaps disability, But I am pretty dumb in these matters as some of you know from other post I have made. I would love to have some of your opinions as to what He should do.

Thanks alot kkp

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Guest rickb54
I have a friend who spent three years in the Army, and twenty years in the seabees as an equipment operater. After his retirement from the Military He retired from a civil service job as a truck driver.

We have recently had a debate on his hearing loss. His hearing loss is signifigant from the time he joined the army to the time of his discharge from the Navy. I suggested he file a claim with the va for his hearing loss. He insist that his civil service job retirement would disqualify him from any disablity benifits from the military.

I personnally think He should file a claim for his hearing loss and get hearing aids ( He's wearing an older pair of mine at the present

I have to admit I dont know about any disability in a case like this. It seems to me he would qualify however I know the congress has been debating what they call double dipping of late. ( I know for a fact it's alright for our senators and congressmen to have three or four federal retirements, but an old fart like him as he refers to himself, I don't know.)

I feel he would be eligible for hearing aids, and perhaps disability, But I am pretty dumb in these matters as some of you know from other post I have made. I would love to have some of your opinions as to what He should do.

Thanks alot kkp

Many of us are retired military & retired civil service and draw va compensenation.

The fact that he is also retired from civil service does not disqualify him from va benefits. If he is rated 50% or more he is entitled to hearing aids at the va medical center with or without a service connected hearing loss. It is doubtful he would be rated higher than 0% because the va has devised a way to avoid paying compensation for hearing loss unless it is an extreme hearing loss. If he has ringing (tinnitis) of the ears he would only be rated 10%. I suggest he see his doctor, have a hearing test, and of course get a nexus letter.

I have attached the va form for nexus statements..

hope this answers your questions.....

NexusForm_VA.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

rick 54,

Should you give your IMO doctor a copy of the Nexus form to fill out for you, or have him just add his own ? with the: Result of, More likely than not, at least as likely as not, not a result of.

Thanks,

Josephine

Guest rickb54
rick 54,

Should you give your IMO doctor a copy of the Nexus form to fill out for you, or have him just add his own ? with the: Result of, More likely than not, at least as likely as not, not a result of.

Thanks,

Josephine

Josephine,

I myself would not use the form at all. This is because I think it limits the doctor as to what he might want to say. On the other hand, some doctors like forms because they just have to fill the blanks in and that is less time consuming that a more reasoned opinion. If I did use the form I would only give it to a va doctor. My preference is not to use va forms at all, because I do not want to be confined to the limited space and basic questions that they ask, I always want to taylor a case depending on the history of the case, with forms I don't think you can do that.

I post this form just so that veterans know it exist, but by no means is there a rule saying a veteran has to use it. In fact I have know some VA doctors to just write a statement in the medical records, while others actually write a full blown letter.

I say ask the doctor and let him/her decide which way to provide the statement.....

hope this answers you question...

Oh...one added thought... I have found that army doctors will not actually state more likely than not, or at least as likely as now. I was recently told by a Col (at Fort Gordon Hospital) that it was against Army regulations for them to write such a statement because since they work for the government it is a conflict of interest. The military doctors however will write a statement of fact with out stating the likely hood, but it is worded in such a way that it serves the same purpose and I have found the va accepted my statements with no questions at all.

Edited by rickb54