PTSD claim Hurricane andrew

Maurice Parker

Question

Hello my Fello Veteran Brothers and Sisters it's been a while . I was at the V.A. last week me and a  Army vet was talking about past experiences. The topic of Me being active duty  Navy when Hurricane Andrew hit Miami in 1992 came up. I told him that I was called into the Dept. office and was advised that a major storm was headed straight for my city of Miami/ Homestead. They asked if I wanted to go be with my family during this Hurricane, I agreed and was placed on emergency leave.( funny because he said he was granted 50% PTSD for this same scenario because he was a recruiter when this storm hit ) Fast forward I didn't realize it but I've been suffering from this event... Question .. Can I put a claim in for something like this even if wasn't in a combat zone? D.mn sho looked like one..

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Yea, you can file.   Whether or not it will be approved is largely dependent on your documentation of the Caluza elements:  Current diagnosis of PTSD, in service event, and doctors opinion that your in service event caused your ptsd.  If you have all 3 of these, you should get a ptsd rating.  The percentage will depend on your symptoms, and I have no idea what those are.