VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mom a caretaker on VA payroll? how can i make this happen?

Rate this question

silverusaf99

Question

I have 70% service connected disabilities w/ 100% ind. UE. struggling with it for over 10 years, tons of documentation and a cocktail of meds that will knock out a horse.

--

My mom's 58 now, and struggling hard with a dead end job at good will...I want to buy her her first (yes her very first) house with SSDI backpay, but that's another story.

--

I know there's some amazing things the VA can offer...x-tacy pills for PTSD, companion animals, etc...but can i get my very own mom on a VA salary as my personal caretaker? can i get the step by step to make this happen? I know they have this...if not by the state. i saw a case where a young boy (god bless his soul) ate a slug at 8 (dare from his childhood kids) and it made him prac. a veg., however his mom was his caretaker.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, silverusaf99 said:

I have 70% service connected disabilities w/ 100% ind. UE. struggling with it for over 10 years, tons of documentation and a cocktail of meds that will knock out a horse.

--

My mom's 58 now, and struggling hard with a dead end job at good will...I want to buy her her first (yes her very first) house with SSDI backpay, but that's another story.

--

I know there's some amazing things the VA can offer...x-tacy pills for PTSD, companion animals, etc...but can i get my very own mom on a VA salary as my personal caretaker? can i get the step by step to make this happen? I know they have this...if not by the state. i saw a case where a young boy (god bless his soul) ate a slug at 8 (dare from his childhood kids) and it made him prac. a veg., however his mom was his caretaker.

I asked my mom what she thought, and she is under the impression that she has to live in my apt/ or house. When i was in SoCal, there was a group home that each vet had his needs, and the landlord's daughter was the cook. She was getting money from the VA...infact the house was getting money from the VA AND was charging me $1000/mnth. Despite wanting to setup a house like this for myself...how do I get my mom on the same bit where she can just show up as a 9-5 cchartaker, or how do you say? write in her own hours? 

--

BTW, she used to be a Registered Nurse.

The regulations state that you can get paid as a caretaker, even if related to the Veteran.  

You need to demonstate and document that you NEED a caretaker, with a doctor stating the same.  Its not enough for your mom to come over and help you, your doctor needs to state that you cant function without a caretaker.  

ONE way is for you to get approved for SMC L (Aid and attendance).  Its around 700 bucks additional that comes to you.  You can then pay her.  

You can also use the caretaker plan.  (Im not sure, but you may not be able to use both the caretaker plan and SMC L.  )  

Follow this to the letter:

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/comprehensive-assistance/