Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest Dataman

The fact is most of us with TDIU want to return to work, and we know that our quality of life will increase if we have something meanfull to fill our days. And I think most under TDIU could return to work given the right training, and job accommaditions and reasonable pay.

But the system is screwed up. I know I applied for TDIU and 3 VA Jobs at the Local Hospital. Guess what. They hired someone from Within instead. I was qualified for all the jobs too.

At the time I could not believe it. Been almost 7 years now and I could not work but 1/2 day at most now (SSA said less). But I was willing and the system had nothing in place to even try.

I think you guys are right about vets who have TDIU due to a PHYSICAL disability -- as per the examples like Max Cleland and others mentioned -- but we "mental" vets aren't likely to get any better, especially if we're "old guys." After all, if the brain is shot, so if the body. And considering how primitive psychiatry/psychology are, it doesn't look good for many years to come.

Being left alone is probably best for a lot of us droids...and it would reduce the VA workload not to see us all the time.

Working for the VA might be a possibility, but I don't think they want us either. If they did take us, they'd probably not pay us a whole lot anyway, despite any higher education or other credentials we have that should command good salaries in the "normal" work world.

So, maybe just leaving a lot of us alone is best, and it may save them money in the long run, too.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

I dont know, we had a psychiatrist from VAMC Murfreesboro TN go into a fit of road rage and start a gunbattle with the person who pissed them off. I'd probably fit right in. This being one of the people responsible for MY care and treatment...

"Have Gun Will travel reads the card of a man"

"A knight in paperwork armor in a red tape land"

I'd guess he was "off" his meds....

Bob Smith