VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bean Free Books For Disabled Veterans Offer

Rate this question

sixthscents

Question

OK here the deal. A really good guy named Jim Baen passed away recently. Prior to his passing he had discussed with several of his writers about making their books free to disabled readers, specifically disabled veterans. I guess after he passed his authors picked up the ball and carried it as a memorial to him.

Kinda tells you how much they thought of him as a person... since they ALL agreed to it.

So, ANY disabled veteran can log onto www.baen.com and following the instructions sign up for their program. You dont get hardcopies of the books, but you can download them for reading on your computer or a thing called an ebook... I have several of them (I use a REB 1100 by the way), and can tell you that they are great. They are a bit pricey, but you can find a good used one on eBay for about $100.. or just read them on your computer using either the web browser you are looking at now, or in Adobe format etc.

You can download ALL of their books.. literally hundreds and hundreds.....

You can download their new releases and advanced reader copies (normally those go for $15 apiece)

Now... obviously these people are trusting you, since they require no proof other than your word, but...

it'd be really crappy for someone to say they are something they are not...and Jim Baen just doesnt seem like the guy who deserves that kind of memorial....he was a veteran, and an active supporter of our troops giving away literally thousands of free books to service men and women worldwide. Also many of his authors are veterans... its an honor system, and Jim Baens life seems to help define the word.

ANY disabled veteran.. doesnt matter the rating.. any disabled veteran qualifies.

I read a lot of Baen books anyway, and Ive bought a ton of them hardbound, but... its a heck of a nice gesture on behalf of ALL of BAENs authors who include...

John Ringo

Eric Flint

Mercedes Lackey

and dozens of others

If you are a disabled vet. and you like to read... go on, the program is there for you. Absolutely free.. takes about a day to get an account set up... then you are set.

its mostly sci-fi and fantasy.. but theres a bit of everything...

so, I thought I'd mention it since no one else seemed to know.. heck I only found it when I went to order my normal books...

I will say.. it kinda choked me up a bit...

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks interesting but all Sci Fi and Fanasy books, I also did not see where to register as a Diabled Veteran,

Sorry, you can go to www.baen.com and click on the link for webscriptions in the top right, or go to http://www.webscription.net/

There you will see a link on the left that says BAEN books free to disabled readers and you can link thru that or....

http://www.webscription.net/news.aspx?showarticle=2

click here...

the enrollment is handled thru www.readassist.org, and like I said takes about an hour during normal business days, but can take up to one day if over the weekend.

It is primarily sci-fi and fantasy, with some few others thrown in for spice, but oh WHAT sci-fi and fantasy... !!!

Personally I like 'em all, but sci-fi best. There are a great many other places to download books on the net, but the legality is questionable in many cases. Baen's offer removes any question of copywrite infringement, piracy etc. ARGH!