Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sarcoidosis

Rate this question

bolt_vet23

Question

Good morning,

I'm currently 100% PTD.  I started experiencing chest pains recently and after a lot of appointments had a biopsy done.  It sounds like it's sarcoidosis, but will not be sure until the tests come back.  I'm wondering if I should submit a disability claim to the VA if it's sarcoidosis?  Is there any benefit to getting it added as a disability since I'm already 100 PTD?

Thanks

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I posted a link and the content of how the VA rates sarcoidosis. It could help solidify your 100% rating and could help get SMC of some sort depending on the degree of impact it and your other disabilities have on you. Just keep in mind you'll need to get the usual SC factors:
1. Event or injury in service/presumptive/secondary to another disability
2. Current diagnosis
3. Nexus connecting 1 and 2

§4.97   Schedule of ratings—respiratory system.

6846   Sarcoidosis:  
Cor pulmonale, or; cardiac involvement with congestive heart failure, or; progressive pulmonary disease with fever, night sweats, and weight loss despite treatment 100
Pulmonary involvement requiring systemic high dose (therapeutic) corticosteroids for control 60
Pulmonary involvement with persistent symptoms requiring chronic low dose (maintenance) or intermittent corticosteroids 30
Chronic hilar adenopathy or stable lung infiltrates without symptoms or physiologic impairment 0
Or rate active disease or residuals as chronic bronchitis (DC 6600) and extra-pulmonary involvement under specific body system involved

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.