Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asthma Or Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

slowhand197

Question

Just a note to all on this site you have helped me go from 40% to 90% because of what I learned here I can not thank you all enough.

I put in a claim for sleep apnea and asthma the asthma was approved at 30% the sleep apnea was denied. If I file an NOD and get sleep apnea SC rating (50% I am on a bipac machine) will that reduce my asthma as they are the same respritory system I think or will they add it to the asthma rating. Any info would be appreciated

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Will, or rather CAN they do the test at the VA? - Im not going to even try to spell it. What does it consist of etc.

My VAMC (San Francisco) sent me to a civilian hospital with a Sleep Disorders Center. Got there at 7 PM and spent

the night wired up to a couple of machines. While I slept they checked my blood O2, CO2, etc. Woke me once to

fit a PAP machine, then played with its settings until I had maximum O2 during sleep. Except for the PAP fitting, I

didn't know squat. I just slept. I was out of there about 7:30 in the morning. Diagnosis? Severe sleep apnea!

Based on the medical data you have now, ask your primary to set you up with a sleep study. And good luck!

Ralph

My VAMC (San Francisco) sent me to a civilian hospital with a Sleep Disorders Center. Got there at 7 PM and spent

the night wired up to a couple of machines. While I slept they checked my blood O2, CO2, etc. Woke me once to

fit a PAP machine, then played with its settings until I had maximum O2 during sleep. Except for the PAP fitting, I

didn't know squat. I just slept. I was out of there about 7:30 in the morning. Diagnosis? Severe sleep apnea!

Based on the medical data you have now, ask your primary to set you up with a sleep study. And good luck!

Ralph

OBJEE

I have had a sleep study done by my private ins co. I don''t know if the VA has a sleep lab. I have severe sleep apnea 65 episodes per hour. Thanks for the info