Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy

Rate this question

betrayed

Question

My discharge summary from my 15 day stay in the nut house they added Cluster B Traits to my Axis II diagnosis, and under Axis IV they state SEVERE then list 3 items.

Now I am assigned to go to Dialectical behavioral therapy (group) once a week. So I have four groups:

Dialectical behavioral therapy

Depression

PTSD Education

Anger Management

What I dont get is (according to a internet search) Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a psychosocial treatment developed specifically to treat individuals with borderline personality disorder.

I have not been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

Yesterday I had my first appointment with my new Psychiatrist, he asked me what therapies I was attending and I told him

Dbt

Depression

PTSD Education

Anger Management

He didnt know what DBT (Dialectical behavioral therapy) was

I said dont feel bad I have went twice (during inpatient stay) and dont know what it is either. All I know is this is the first DBT group they have ever had in this VAMC.

I told him that my Celexa has helped me allot but it has chemically neutered me, he reduced my celexa from 60 mg to 40 mg and added Bupropion HCL 75 mg twice a day. Its welbutrin (sp?) hopefully it will help me quit smokin and get my sex life back.

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welbutrin does not interfer with the sex life but all the prozac family of drug will including cymbalta which has some of the SSRI uptake stuff in it.

I'm not sure Prozac is supposed to help with anger issues but it didn't help ME in that area at all (but then again, other "therapies" didn't help, either).

"Group" at my local VA clinic STILL seems to be -- after all these years even -- just warehousing vets and a justification for some people's jobs. I declined group partly for that reason.

In the past, I even had to suggest (!!) my own treatment possibilities (various types "talk therapy" I had read about in medical magazines) because the doctors didn't seem interested in trying various therapies, even though the one I was in wasn't working. It was as though they were just doing a job, working towards retirement and waiting to go home.

Glad they don't do lobotomies anymore...or do they?

-- John D.

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)