Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CUE Decision

Rate this question

Jangs1963

Question

Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I finally saw on va.gov my Cue was assigned for review last week. I checked today and they already made a decision. Has anyone had a CUE decided within 4 days of being assigned? Initially it indicated 2/2020 for estimated completion. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Be aware that va.gov status and estimated completion date is not perfect and may frequently change without any clear reason. I called 1-800-827-1000 to get the actual status. If you know a VSO/lawyer/rep with access to VBMS, they can get the actual status, too.

I sent my CUE in late Sep. Once it got in the system, it appeared to be almost finished with an estimation of a few weeks out. The following week, it jumped back to initial review with estimated completion of Apr 2020. I called 1-800-827-1000 and they were able to peek under the hood and learn more. The VARO requested medical records from the VAMC and they have 20 business days (about one month) to turn them around. The 20 business days ends this Friday, so I am going to call on Monday to check the status. If not changed, I will ask them to submit an IRIS inquiry to find out what the holdup is.

They are supposed to update the status when it changes, but that doesn't always happen. I had one claim not show as being completed until about two weeks after I received the decision in the mail.

If this is your only active claim, then keep an eye on the mail. Your status should change at some point.

I called the 800#. She said a letter was sent. I said the va.gov indicated a decision. She said letter. As I realize they can’t tell you what the letter says, she said in a round about way, I wonder if they sent it for a higher review. I am assuming my letter is not good news and I will have to wait longer.  But, I surely appreciate your input. Thank you again.

@Jangs1963 The VA must have trained the call center reps to use more consistent language: letter vs. decision. Your CUE is likely processed by the same team that processes HLR's because most of the criteria for each is similar.

If you are already in the VA system and have direct deposit, if you win and your combined rating changes, any retro  payment due sometimes can show up before the letter arrives in the mail. If it is a significant amount of retro, the VA has to kick it upstairs for approvals.