VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA hearing

Rate this question

capitan

Question

I just received a very good nexus letter from my VA doctor which I believe will be sufficient evidence for SC for my rare form of cancer. It connects my disease to Agent Orange in Vietnam. I'm wondering how to translate that into compensation.  Now, assuming I am granted SC, how is the subsequent rating conducted? Will I be remanded for exams? How do I maximize my rating and compensation?  I have found citations in which residuals are granted at the time of the hearing, but don't know if I should list them. Or if I should request an outside dentist's statement from my dentist? He is familiar with my case, how that I have lost teeth due to radiation and chemo due to tongue cancer treatment. I would like for him to do some of the work as I believe he will do a better job than the VA. Will the VA allow him to?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

First, focus on basics of current diagnosis, in service event, and doctors opinion that his diagnosis is at least as likely as not related to an in service event.  Once sc, you will be rated based on the documented symptoms of the disorder(s).  

Your rating should be based upon the rating criteria for your disorder(s).  

You will be required to do c and P exams if there is insufficent evidence already in your file, and I have no idea if that is there or not.  

Yes, you should list "residuals", it can affect your compensation.  

In addition to presumptive conditions, you may be eligible for "secondary" service connection.  One example could be if your cancer causes high blood pressure, you could be compensated for HBP secondary to cancer, but that would take a doctors opinion (nexus) linking that to your cancer caused by Agent orange.  

In addition to primary, secondary, and presumptive service connection, you may be eligble for SMC if you are housebound, need aid and attendance, or have loss of use of body parts.  

If you are at a BVA hearing you have apparently been denied.  You should refute the VA's reasons and bases for denials.  

Edited by broncovet

I believe I have met those first 3 elements. Where do I find the rating criteria? Is rating based only on symptoms and residuals? Tongue cancer treatment (radiation/chemo) weakened some teeth causing them to break off. I have been dealing with a private dentist. Not about this, but other things when my teeth were good. Should I get a statement from him for the hearing? Will the VA allow me to have him do some dental work? Assuming I am granted SC.