Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received Letter From Vamc Yesterday

Rate this question

JennLea

Question

I got a letter titled "Notice of Entitlement for Spouse and Children" yesterday from VAMC and I was curious if anyone would know if it was just a form letter that they sent out to people with 100% (schedular and/or P&T) or if it is sent out specifically to people with P&T status?

The letter basically talks about CHAMPVA and who would be covered and where a person could get an application or call for information.

I sent in a request for P&T status about a month ago, but I can't see it going through so quickly? I haven't recieved any other paperwork besides the typical -we have received your claim and will get to it ASAP...blah, blah, blah....

I guess I'll just call the 800 # and see what I can find out. :(

Edited by JennLea

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
I got a letter titled "Notice of Entitlement for Spouse and Children" yesterday from VAMC and I was curious if anyone would know if it was just a form letter that they sent out to people with 100% (schedular and/or P&T) or if it is sent out specifically to people with P&T status?

The letter basically talks about CHAMPVA and who would be covered and where a person could get an application or call for information.

I sent in a request for P&T status about a month ago, but I can't see it going through so quickly? I haven't recieved any other paperwork besides the typical -we have received your claim and will get to it ASAP...blah, blah, blah....

I guess I'll just call the 800 # and see what I can find out. :(

It's been my experience, that if the RO sends you CHAMPVA information - they have deemed you P&T! Rather than call the VARO, and give them the opportunity to confuse themselves (!), just apply for CHAMPVA first. After you are approved, then write the RO asking for a standard letter that shows you are "totally disabled, permanent in nature". Good luck! ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

Jenn- did the letter state that Chapter 35 Educational eligibility has been established?

CHAMPVA_ I dont trust the VA to write about CHAMPVA eligibility because that is actually determined -as Adora just stated by CHAMPVA itself-

And believe me some confusion can sure come in dealing with CHAMPVA and the VA-

If a vet gets Chap 35 for their dependents- in my mind that is the actual P & T determination-and it should be clearly stated in the award letter for Chap 35.

CHAMPVA has its own web site where you can make formal application- but they will want copy of the award letter stating you are P & T due to SC.

If you call CHAMPVA- they are usually excellent but then again- like the VA- they have some telephone reps that don't know what they are talking about. Or- in a situation I had- they were given inaccurate information by the VARO.

One rep they had 2 years ago was telling widows that a 100%SC P & T determination done by VA after the veteran's death did not make them eligible for CHAMPVA.I hope she got canned.