Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Taxes

Rate this question

JohnM

Question

This was posted a while back but can not seem to find it. How do I find what states pay property taxes for VA Veterans that are P & T ?

The state of Wisconsin reinburses you but you must be 65 and I would like make mention to this to our Wisconsin Rep.'s if possibly checking into changing this.

Thanks in advance.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

There is a tax break in Texas, if you are on SSDI there is a percentage break in your taxes, it may vary from county to county, also there is a school tax break if you are on SSDI, also there is a tax break of 12,000 if your are a dissabled vet and there is the homested tax break availible to all who homested their primary residence.

There are multiple tax aids for homesteding, senior citizens, being disabled and for veterans. Different progrms but when you add them together for a 100% disabled vet who draws SSDI it is a substantial break.

ALso, Rickb54, lived in Texas before he moved to Georgia. He likes Georgia better. But he knows about Texas. No 1968, there is only one (1) rickb54.

Hi there rickb54, hope you don't mind my interjection here. :rolleyes:

Edited by jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are disabled 100% by VA there is no way you would not qualify for the disabled exemption which freezes taxes for school and grants the same extra discounts given to Seniors. If your guy has not gotten this done all he needs to do is fill out the form and show his disability by the VA or any Doctor can attest to it.

I don't know of any 100% Veterans who qwould not qualify for the same deal the Seniors have in Texas.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Hey Rick - I guess that makes you a TexGeorge. Wow hahahahahahahahaha My problem with all of these state benefits is the residency requirements. For instance - Georgia was my home of record for 22 of my 25 years. I was born and raised there so being the good citizen that I am I wanted to pay my taxes there. The last three years of my service I decided to retire in Alabama. Although I meet the disability requirements for the state benefits for education for my daughter I do not qualify cause the rule is that I had to be a resident of Alabama upon enlistment. Kinda makes me want to move back to good ole GA. However, in checking with the GA vets department I was told that since I am a citizen of Alabama moving back into GA I no longer meet the requirements for the GA state education assistance. I guess I kinda put myself into a catch 22 situation. Alabama sure don't complain when they suck up my and the spouses check for those state taxes. Seems as though there should be some kind of reimbursment deal or something between the states cause I know there are thousands of vets out there in the same boat. This is the only benefit worth caring about in Alabama. The others: 100 percent will get you a reduced tax on the first 7500.00 of your property taxes and even that is based upon an income requirement; 100 percent will get you a 1.00 fishing liscene; Forget about hunting, I guess if you are a disabled vet you should not be hunting; anything less than 100 percent will get you a disabled vet tag for your car after you pay for the plate and ad volorem taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have SO's in many of the counties to help you free of charge to assist you with your VA claim who tell you when you walk in that you should be happy with the 10 percent the VA already gave you and you need to quit trying to clutter up the system!!!!!!! Jez, I guess I do get a lot of benefits. I wrote my rep for my district asking his support in changing the laws in the state - he replied "I will forward your concern to the commander of the Alabama department of veterans affairs so they can help you". Just think for 50 years I thought it was the state congress and senate that develop and changed laws within the states, I glad he found the time to correct me on this issue and direct me to the real power holder in the state. Oh well, I guess I don't have anyone to blame but myself. I should have checked all of this out before retirement.

• HadIt.com Elder

each state is different and you do need to ask in South Carolina I learned you have to own your property on Dec 31st of the previous year to get this years taxes rated down to zero so me and the old home owner split them 50/50 since I bought the house at the end of June filed the paperwork and now we won't pay any property tax at all on a 200,000 house and we get 2 vehicles at 25 tag fee each year my son can go to any state college for free as long as state taxes fund it from USC to the Citadel etc his choice although here in Columbia you have to be careful about the neighborhoods they love user fees for common areas in you buy into one of those type neighborhoods, pools, tennis courts, golf course etc

I bought in an older area no common amenities and the neighborhood fee is 35 a year there is a 7 acre pond and signs that have to be upkept but the neighborhod gets the congressman and Senators to show up at the BBQ's it seems as if my neighbors contribute lots of money don't look at me I can't stand the bastards I am trying to see if I have only one car can I get a pontoon boat tax free for ad valorem taxes hey it doesn't hurt to try

Rick54 I have an appt on the 23rd want to meet for coffee I will be at 15th street? 1300 cardiology

Edited by Testvet

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

should be done by 3 would the Waffle House on the Parkway be better by the Pilot station at I 20 or do you want to meet downtown? either os good for us

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Florida is pretty kind to its Vets....

If you are rated you get a $5,000. discount on the assessed value of your home for property tax purposes, in addition to the $25,000 homestead exemption. Carving 30K off the assessed value ain't too bad. But...

If you are 100% then you pay NO property taxes at all, get your auto license tag for free, hunting / fishing for free, and parking meters don't have to be fed if you are using the Disabled Vet licence plate.

+ ALL THE WAY +

OIF 1 - PTSD 70%

Ranger School - Frostbite 10% + 10% = 10%