Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got The C&p Report!

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

Just got the C&P report of my son's of 2/2/07. This C&P was done with the Charleston Va, Not sure if this was even done by a DR as i don't see [DR] anywhere on the report.

Any way his impression was [1] Appendix Cancer it is less tha 50% likely that it was caused by or a result of exposure to Benxene and other solvents in his Military Service.

[2] Polycythemia Vera is less tha 50% likely that it was caused by exposure to Benzene and other solvents in his Military. It is at least 50% likely that his Polycythemia Vera or a precursor thereof was present to some extent at the time of his discarge from the service.

He went on to say that my son has no current symptons or disabilities. { not true, According to this blood levels on that day he should have been ordered to go get a phlebotomy done then!!!

He also said that it has been a year since his last phlebotomy[ not true as my son took his last phlebotomy done in Nov 06 and handed to the person during the Exam.

Jessie

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Just got the C&P report of my son's of 2/2/07. This C&P was done with the Charleston Va, Not sure if this was even done by a DR as i don't see [DR] anywhere on the report.

Any way his impression was [1] Appendix Cancer it is less tha 50% likely that it was caused by or a result of exposure to Benxene and other solvents in his Military Service.

[2] Polycythemia Vera is less tha 50% likely that it was caused by exposure to Benzene and other solvents in his Military. It is at least 50% likely that his Polycythemia Vera or a precursor thereof was present to some extent at the time of his discarge from the service.

He went on to say that my son has no current symptons or disabilities. { not true, According to this blood levels on that day he should have been ordered to go get a phlebotomy done then!!!

He also said that it has been a year since his last phlebotomy[ not true as my son took his last phlebotomy done in Nov 06 and handed to the person during the Exam.

Jessie

Jessie,

With this statement, I think that it is a postive C&P

It is at least 50% likely that his Polycythemia Vera or a precursor thereof was present to some extent at the time of his discarge from the service.

Always,

Josephine

Jessie

Jessie,

If you can document these errors, write a letter of protest that the C&P exam is inadequate to adjudicate this claim and you want a competent C&P exam conducted for adjudication purposes. Attach your documentation. Writing the protest letter ASAP is important.

Ralph

Jessie,

If you can document these errors, write a letter of protest that the C&P exam is inadequate to adjudicate this claim and you want a competent C&P exam conducted for adjudication purposes. Attach your documentation. Writing the protest letter ASAP is important.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph:

I just talked to the SC and he said to sit tight until the rating board send it back. If it's denied we will go with an inadequte exam and ask for a new C&P with a Hem/Onc Dr.

Is this the right way to handle it??

Jessie

I don't know ... but it seems to me by this wording that the claim will be denided.

Thanks Rickb54:

Thats the way i'm reading it too, But then i'm not sure what i'm doing anyway.

Can you answer this for me??

I found a case in the BVA that is very very simular to my son's that was granted on Benzene Exposure, Can i send this as evidence??

Thanks, Jessie

What I see is -based on that C & P-

denial of the apendix cancer and the polycythemia based on the claimed benzene as etiology (cause)

But I do see that the C & P noted that the polycythemia to some extent- was present during his service.

I found this from:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_mat_t...dp?item_id=9955

" What are the causes and risk factors associated with polycythemia vera?

The cause of polycythemia vera is unknown. Polycythemia vera is called a clonal disorder because it begins with a change to the DNA in a single cell: all the cells that will dominate blood cell production are the offspring of the one mutant cell.

The gene that causes the acquired genetic mutation responsible for polycythemia vera has not been identified. The change to the DNA in the cell has not been linked to any environmental cause.

Most patients with polycythemia vera do not have a family history of the disorder. However, there are reports of familial incidence."

-------------------------------------------------

I believe it will take an independent medical opinion to show any involvement of inservice

chemicals to show them as cause of these disorders.

Do you still have the BVA link? I could not find this case at all-

The VA has certainly made awards for polycythemia but many of the denials at BVA were based on this disability as due to ionizing radiation or Agent Orange.

I dnt know much about these cnditions but it there any other potential basis for service connection at all? Anything else in his MOS and duty that could have caused this?

Appendix cancer is rare -per many web sites and I didnt find anything that inservice would

cause this either-

I sure dont mean you should give up -not at all- but there has to be a medical and documented linkage between the present disabilties and his service.

The Benezene BVA case- it will not help the VA to determine his disability because it is specific only to another vet-but there could well be clues in there and even a private doctor's name- who might provide an IMO-based on your son's SMRs and his exposure to benzene since the claims are so similiar, I assume that claim was awarded, and I also assume that the BVA case was awarded on significant medical info from someone-as a professional- and more than likely not from a C & P doc.

Edited by Berta

-------------------------------------------------

Do you still have the BVA link? I could not find this case at all-

Berta:

The BVA Citation # 0309503

Decision Date 5/21/03

Docket # 02-13-907

The Issue was Entitlement to service connection for Primary Myelofibrosis [ This is sorta the end stage of Polycythemia Vera]

In an review of Polycythemia Vera writen by Dr. Ayalew Tefferi , Mayo Clinic. He wrote " The Development of Myelofibrosis and Acute Leukemia as part of the natural history of Polycythemia Vera. This was first reported in 1935 & 1938.

Will you take a look at it.

My son has a long list of Chemical and other solvents along with exposure to Jet Fuels containing Benzene not to mention the Jet Fuel Fumes and Exhaust.

He was an Avation Structural Mechanic in the Service so he was exposed for long periods daily.

Thanks,

Jessie