Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P test procedure for knee exam

Rate this question

OldJoe

Question

What are the different ways examiners can measure RoM of knee extension?

Just got results back from C&P finally (after 5 years) got my left knee connected (just need right knee now).  Nurse practitioner couldn't get my knee to extend enough in the seated position to get a reading (essentially 0°) next did the flexion test from the lying down position, no problem bringing thigh up to flexion.  Straightening it was a different story, struggled to get it to lay flat (0°-135° flexion, normal range).

Raters denied me RoM for the lousy extension?  I though extension was done from the sitting position.  A previous C&P measured me from the seated position I wrote down what he said; 52° and 60° degrees (right and left knees). If I am correct that is easily 50% for each knee.

What am I missing here?  Is there some special procedure the they have to go through to test.  I  though they were supposed to pick the results that favors the vet.  Not cherry pick testing methods that gives the VA the advantage.  Or am I  totally off base in interpretation of the evaluation?

Unfortunately anxiety is getting the worst of me right now (just put in for increase).  And have been diagnosed with  Functional Neurological Disorder (conversion disorder),  last night while putting the dog out I hobbled with my cain quite literally dragging my right leg (couldn't get it to work).

Comments, questions, advice...  I  really could use some help right now.

Well have decided to see if Dr Bash would be willing to take my case. 

I had a consult with him and everything seemed to go well.

I have gotten all of my records ready for him, now all I am waiting on is a reply.

Does anyone know how long he takes to reply?  I really don't want to pester him because I know he is busy, but at the same time my anxiety is getting the better of me.

It sounds like you just had a bias examiner. They are definitely out there. Fortunately, those exams are usually simpler to disprove via a well written and medically backed IMO such as the one you may be seeking from Dr Bash. You could also include a personal statement about that exam experience and the hostility of the examiner along with it as supplemental if it is denied.

An HLR would likely just net you a new exam and delay your claim more and then you are rolling the dice again with nabbing a poor examiner. So that's probably not the best route. 

Honestly it sounds like you are taking the correct steps to keep your claim alive and on the road to getting approved. Patience is something all of us struggle with during these claims, me included. I HATE waiting but we know it's part of the game. My anxiety gets the best of me some days but we know what our mission is. Keep at it brother. Stay the course. Give Dr Bash some time to reply, if you haven't heard anything just send a nicely written followup asking if they received your files and if they have any questions to contact you. The wait is one of the hardest parts of these claims.

Thanks Foxhound6,  luckily though the examiner is my "current" Dr I see for orthopedics and I don't go through the VA.  He replaced the last orthopedist who I was very pleased with, but he left to go to a new practice.  (If my VSO didn't give me the wrong info, my whole claim probably would have been finished by now if I could have used my original orthopedist)

Needless to say, I think I am going to get a new orthopedist.  This one strikes me as a "suck-it-up-buttercup" kind of person when obviously some body-part is dangling in an odd angle.  Then tells you you have nothing wrong.

The biggest issue is that the anxiety is getting the WORST of me.  To the point that my wife confided in me that she has been worried that I might not come home one night and instead she'll get a call from the police...

Luckily I don't think I am in danger of doing anything like that.  But, I think I can understand how some (a friend ex-army) can simply give up hope.  My wife took her car in and got it repaired.  2 days later he wasn't with us anymore.