Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Former Dav Employee

Rate this question

CSM-H

Question

To all, great website, sorry it took me so long to get on...first time writer but hope to be active. I am Army retired and for a short period was a Disabled American Veterans (DAV) NSO....had to leave that job....we had issues [another story]. The quote below is from another thread here on the site, it speaks to my situation but doesn't asnswer the issue I have now.

Anyway I have been gone from DAV three years, I am trying to get my file released from the RO that has it to no avail. I have written three requests and have even asked a Senior level DAV Director for help...nothing....How do I get my file back to the right RO? I am a Maryland resident and my file is in Deleware. I have at least two issues for increase and a new claim that I cannot file because I get no response from this RO......And yes as always there is more to this story, but I'll save that for another time.

"Veterans working for the VA do NOT have their disability claims rated by the Regional Office in which they work. We employee veterans do not even have access to our VA files. They are stored at another VA office. And, I can personally attest that military veteran VA employees do not get preferential treatment for their claims. It is my experience and that of others in my office, that we go through the exact same process as other veterans. The difference is that we know what is required to get a claim decided more quickly. I'm glad to share with you and hope it helps."

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome aboard veteran-

I am confused here by the quote someone posted-

"Veterans working for the VA do NOT have their disability claims rated by the Regional Office in which they work."

Personal experience shows me that is not always the case-my husband was VA employee and his c file remained within the same VISN during his claims.That was the case regarding other vets I know employed at the local VA with VA disability claims-

However- I also know for a fact that other VA employees'c files are sent to another RO-

The Bath VAMC Vet rep- fore xample- had a long talk with me because of his frustration due to exactly the same problem you are having-

his claim was in NY City RO- what a mess-

and he was a rep employed by VA-

The DAV- they employed you as NSO and also held your POA for your claims?

What benefit is there to you if they do move your claim back to your state?

Is this worth fighting about- I am not being smart ass -just need to know more-

as even if you are set for hearing or something- is it that much further to travel?

I am concerned about one thing-

the lack of response from the DAV-

I griped when they held my POA to the National Commander and although the response was insufficient, at least they attempted to solve the problem-

Could there be something in your c file from DAV as employer that will help or hinder your claim?

Do you have a complete copy of your c file?

As a former NSO I assume you sent the VA all the evidence you needed and that you initially received a legal VCAA letter and election notice.

I wonder if by simplyng fling on the new issues and sending this to the RO in your state, the one where you want the claims to be at ---if this would trigger the whole file to be sent to that VARO which you want them to do.

Obviously the DAV is being most unresponsive to you-

I suggest you go to the VA web site, and under "Contact Us" that you file an inquery and click first on the Service Complaint button so it goes to VBA, then back to the RO---where the claim is now-

and then the VA will have to respond to your complaint-

Personally I wouldnt care what RO handled my claims as long as they employed people who can read.

I know you are frustrated with this whole rigamorale.

But as a former NSO you most surely realize -it is the squeaky wheel that gets the worm to turn-or words to that affect-you know what I mean---

Edited by Berta

Guest jangrin

WE just recently moved from one VARO area to another. We had our POA with the AL and when we moved we switched to the TVC (Texas Vet Comission) -strickly as a matter of convenience.- When the new POA change of representation notice was mailed and recieved by the old POA it triggered the file to be pulled and moved to where the new VARO (as the new POA requested.) It took about 30 days for the file to be sent.

Maybe you could switch POAs-

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

CSM-H

Welcome to Hadit. I have my geography mixed up but you might consider a road trip to where you C File is to get it moved. Failing that call the 800 827 1000 number and ask to speak to a VA Councilor and see if they can help over the phone.

You might also find how to email Iris and request that they change to POA. Needless to say not much is going to happen till you get this straightened out.

Good Luck

Berta, Jagrin and Pete53, hey thanks to all of you for excellant advice, A little more info, trying to saty calm here;

I brought some of this on myself as is usually the case, after working for DAV about a year a wrote through "intra-mail" directly to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs my displeasure with the way they were handling cases, including my own and went so far as to give suggestions. So now you know part of the rest of the story. Also yes, they have ALL the relevant material evidence to make a decision, basically after I wrote the Sec. the DRO in Deleware decided that my Original Claim "had not been timely filed" Even though there are two documents in my file that state to the contrary and they where in there prior to me writing.

My DAV Rep told me to my face right before my DRO meeting, "we'll see what writing the Sec. gets you"....Sorry no witness to this....and he (DAV rep) is now deceased. The DRO in question is recently retired. I understand the sqeaky wheel approach, but there are lots of gate keepers..I have not tried the VA website for a complaint....My claim has just reached the BVA (after 3 1/2 years) and my DAV rep there tells me a "decision could be made in as little 90-120 days, as your docket number is much older than those now being worked"....

So I have a concern with changing Reps at this stage, I am hopeing the 90-120 days is accurate and I will then further persue the moving of the file folder. The advantage to my moving the folder is, it is out of Delaware, way understaffed, and most all VA employees records are there from this area. My file still has VA employee stamped on it, at least in Maryland I can get out from under the VA employee stigma, hopefully. Anywya thanks for the advice I will definately try most of it shortly as there are a few new pieces I hadn't thought of before. CSM-H

CSM-H,

Dont feel bad, MOST of us have issues with the DAV for probably quite the same reasons as you do...

And AmVets

And VFW

And Paralyzed Veterans of AMerica

And... well you get the idea...

Welcome, and I hope you claim gets straightened out...

• HadIt.com Elder

If I'm not mistaken, claims folders of former VA employees and SO's remain locked for a certain period of time after they leave VA or their sevice organization. For some reason 3 or 5 years ring a bell; however, I'm not positive on that. I do remember running accross it in the CFR 38 a while back. I'll try to dig it up on the next couple of days if I have a chance and think about it.

Vike 17