• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Award All Claims!

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfMAR07/nf031407-3.htm

Makes sense to me-

"The woman pictured on this page, Prof. Linda Bilmes of Harvard, could turn out to be a veteran's best friend.

Bilmes has proposed a unique system: Approve all VA disability claims and then let auditors sort it out from there...just like the IRS.

Bilmes did this some time ago in an article she wrote...that here...

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfJAN07/nf010607-1.htm "

Sorry if this info was already posted here-

My pages straightened out but now my font has changed.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Like all programs there is always room for improvement, The VA maze for me was very frustrating because I was not organized when I first filed my claim, so now looking back I think it would be benifical to the Veteran if the VA could create a "how to step by step education DVD on how to file your claim (reason for a DVD is because for some people it is just easier for then to relate to verbal then to actually sit down and read a pamplet) that one of the first thing you should do is order there SMR or Service Records to 1st find out if they are even entitled to putting in a claim, that there is even evidence that you were seen in the service for the condition (it would amaze alot of people on just how many people put in claims only to find out later that they were never seen for a condition they thougt was service connected), second if you determine that you do have a SC disabiltiy, then go to step two and compile all your supporting documents in a timeline folder, (nice if the VA can come up with that step by step)...Make sure that you have IMO, buddy statements, stressor letter if needed, dates of doctor appointment, SSDI awards if any, records of VO REhab if you went and was turned down, letters from employors if you were fired due to your condition if it relates to what you are filing for (would be great if you have names, address, phone numbers, fax numbers ect. on hand) before filing this makes it easier for you as a VEteran and the VA as well..there are no clean cut remeody to solve the VA backlog...but if the VA can come up with a way to better educate or inform the Veteran on what is needed to even file a claim then at least they can spear head the backlog from growing...and with all the incoming vets coming home I am sure the case loads are going to grow. I really feel that the Military should do a better discharge sceening with our troops and if there is a VA compensational injury that they are medically discharged this would help our vets.

anyways that is what I think.

MT

The sign on the wall at my RO instructs veterans to file claims if they "think" they have a service connected problem. It does not tell them to become informed on their own and think it through first. Then the RO pulls records and goes to work. The VA invites poorly thought out claims. (See my other post)

I agree, this is part of the problem. I have to wonder is this actually done to generate even more claim backlog? I just gotta agree with Vike here, except I see it more as an issue of "poor" claims, rather than fradulent ones. Yeah, I get them all the time too, or I think I do, but that's just my opinion. I think that a vet who comes to me with a ridiculous claim may be intentionally doing so, or may just be following the writing on the wall like Hoppy says. I dont really know, but it's a BIG part of the problem, that I am sure of.

I'm not ready to say a LARGE proportion of these claims are due to intentional fraud. I believe that mostly they are just due to simple ignorance, or a desire to get something in writing. I think that, as Hoppy points out there is an attitude which engenders this type of behavior.

I also agree that the people on VBN, are very clear and outspoken on exactly what they think. I personally do not find that offensive. I dont see how anyone really could, but... I think that something has to be done with the claims process. I think the VA needs to hire 2 catagories as a priority.. 1. More raters 2. More local people to assist in filing claims. this will cause a 2 fold impact upon claims processing. Yet... the VA doesn't. I think that the system is aninimical(sp?) to the veteran.

I am, for lack of a better phrase, simply tired of the games both the VA and vets play. I think that some of the VA's evidence requirements are simply ignorant and deny the fact that in some cases 20 plus years have passed and the medical records are simply gone. I am also tired of vets filing for a sprained wrist, or "lord help me" alcoholism as secondary to a service connected mood disorder... when the veteran was in for 12 months and discharged as mentally unfit, and has a record of counseling and treatment PRIOR to entering the service.... and I see this crap every day.

So, the problem is both the vets and the VA. I think if we fix the VA, it will in turn fix the vets... or at least mitigate some of the damage.... as long as we take down the darn sign like Hoppy has to put up with, and replace it with...

"Put down any accident or injury which you can remember, and then speak with the veterans assistant prior to actually filing these items as claims. If you honestly believe an injury was worsened or sustained that merits compensation, please feel free to file for it, but we ask that you discuss each item with the claims representative, prior to doing so"

Does that sound unfair?

Nothing sounds unfair. As far as the VBN goes I understand where some of those guys might be coming from, HOWEVER, The opposite of what Vike described as happening to Patrick here happens to a good many vets there. Crusier always sides on the VA side and damn near accuses anyone who asks a strange question as being a fraud. Once this happens you can see the ole brown nose boy system fall into place. First you get blasted by him, followed by Pop etc............ Although your maybe asking a valid question just to insure you don't file a stupid claim once Crusier gets you the rest swim in like sharks. NOW I don't mind honest middle of the road answers but lets be realistic here. These boards are developed to serve all veterans. I know of many veterans, much older ones that simply want to win a claim one way or the other (not fraud). Everyone knows of thoses that fully believe the government (the entire government) is out to get them. I simply feel it is our (the ones who know better) to educate them and not beat them like they were lepers. Take a look at some of my previous posts to Crusier and you will see that I have relayed this to him several times and asked that he chill just a little and provide the VA side just a bit more humane to those who appear to about to file a whacky claim or is simply asking a way out question. There NO need for such action by someone who claims to have worked within the system for so many years. I fully understand that of the thousands of claims he processed he handled each and everyone of them within the required laws and regulations and even bent to try and approve all of them. HOWEVER, that ain't the way it is folks with all VA employees and if you do not believe that then you are simply not living within the real world. I have not and will not beat him up for his opinion, but I believe that my constant reminders to him that not all vets are equal but all must be treated with respect has cause him to not post if he sees me posting. Does not matter to me I simply want to help vets when I can even if they think the VA is out to burn their house and make them live in the sewer. There is always a redeeming element to every veteran.

As far as the far out claims I fully understand what you are saying Vike. I too listen to some of the guys here in the veterans home and have to say "say what", "you want to do what?" hahahahahhahaha. My sampling of such claims is much smaller than yours as I only help a few guys at a time.

Therefore, as you have stated you are in a much better position to see such things and I am sure you see some doozeys. I just did not think it was a wide spread. I guess the problem is that the VARO that services this area is full of incompentent people. I guess my opinion is based upon what I see coming out of this VARO - doozey after doozey. Now I have read some ratings from other VARO's and simply cried cause I wish that our local VARO would only be 1/3 as compentent as the ones that produced thoses rating decisions (some of them were denials some awards).

I guess that I should hold my opinions until I can get a greater cross section view of the various VARO's but you know how the ole human mind works. Anyway, thanks for the reply and the info. I will take your input into account the next time I go to beat up the VA!!!!!

Ricky

God man, I DONT want you to hold your opinion. Heck, it's your opinion. I can see where your coming from to a certain extent with VBN. From what I have seen, generally Cruiser just lays out the facts, or his opinion based on the presented evidence. Hes pretty analytical, and doesn't sugar coat anything, so yeah I can see how it would appear hes attacking a vet, but hes just being an RO.

I personally believe that the VA has a corporate mentality that is inimical to veterans. Its a top-down attitude that pervades everything the administratively do.

I dont want to believe that veterans are out trying to get compensation fradulently. I'd much rather believe that they are simply incompetent, or their SO's are. In either case the result is the same. It further backlogs an already buried system. The answer though is obvious..

1. Higher and train more raters...

2. Higher and train more veteran assistants to help file claims

With proper guidance most veterans would not file these tenuous claims. With more raters they would be processed faster, and even if there was a huge unsupported claim made by a veteran, it would significantly reduce the overall number of them.

Every day I deal with veterans who want to file claims, and become very agitated when I tell them I dont think - in MY opinion it will fly... now if they insist I will file it, but I'm not gonna hold my breath...

Like I said, I got yelled at... literally, because a vet, who doesnt meet the income criterea for a pension, and has no injuries, or combat or anything other than 2 years of service doesnt qualify for benefits... I was told on no uncertain terms that it was bull because since he served the government should be willing to help him now (he already receives SSD).... and its depressing how often junk like that happens...

If a veteran tells me they want to file for a certain thing, generally I will outline what evidence in the way of testing, diagnosis, and supporting evidence is necessary to make the claim hold water... It's not my fault the system is the way it is, all I can do is try to guide someone thru it. I wont file a fradulent claim though, I just will not... but, while I have run into questionable claims, I have yet to have a known fradulent one...

Some people choose to look at these tenuous claims as fradulent. I do not, I just look at them as poorly supported, and poorly evidenced claims... so, it is a compination of "passive neglect" on behalf of the VA, and poorly prepared claims from the veterans. I will never tell a vet he CANT file for something, but I do offer my opinion as to what the VA will do with it. I also exercise the right to cease representing someone... and thats happened a few times too, but mostly because they went off the deep end and I have a daughter to consider.

I see your point Ricky, and I agree with some of it. I just dont see anything thats coming down the pipe that will fix it. I dont think the VA WANTS it fixed...

Over Four years ago I was sitting outside in the hallway of the local VSO in my small town. I overheard the SO talking (he obviously did not know what a door was for ..it was wide open) this SO said "that most vets are filing VA claims because they are now at the age that they need a secure retirement fund" those may not have been the exact words but close enough that I quitly left. That remark will always stay with me...

HOw many other VSO officers are of the same mind set...everytime I have to talk to a VSO person I do not know I wonder what there thoughts really are...I can not even imagin the stress they are under..how many cases have they handled only to find out that the claim is made up...I think that when a person choose's to be a VSO that he made that choice because he truly wants to help those unsung hero's that need assistance...and will give his all...but as time goes by his outlook begins to become a little more guarded...because perhaps he has handled one two many false claims..or maybe he was verbally attacked by a overwhelmed vet who are on there last straw...I would not want to be VSO...because then I would have to take off my rose colored glasses...

I learned a hard lesson in the USAF that I will always carry with me and I think it applies to the question of whether there are Vets out there that will file bogus claims. The Lesson I learned was that the military is made up of all types of people, from different places and backgrounds. The military is a cross section of society. Just because the person next to you wears the uniform you wear with honor doesn't make them honorable. I don't know how many claims are bogus or just uninformed or poorly written, but I do know the system needs fixed. I agre with this idea posted earlier.

1. Higher and train more raters...

2. Higher and train more veteran assistants to help file claims

I hope my comments don't offend anyone, but it was a hard lesson and it applies here.