VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

blahsaysme2u

Question

CONTINUED FROM OTHER THREAD/POST:

we are currently live below our means and have been working towards debt free for few years...we only have CC and mortgage now...

my backpay just put CC at 0 balance...we bought a new couch bc ours is falling apart. other than that we havent spent really anything. 

sadly we didnt get the HUGE payment we were expecting, but still a nice chunk over 70k. we also wanted to set aside some for home reno that we have been putting off since we bought our house in 2013(living room and kitchen are in terrible shape but we made due bc we didnt have a choice) 

im worried that after everything is said and done we might have 20-30 maybe 40K if we are lucky and dont go crzy left over...its not ton of money but i plan to maxing my Roth IRA for the year and maybe next year...but thats only 6500 a pop...soooo what to do with the rest? i have a work 401k i can drop some but i already contribut to it so the 20k max is probably going to be less than 10k from my back pay...so all added together 13k Roth+10401k=23k leaves 10-20k on the table to do something with(rough and hard)

i know there are financial advisers for veterans- has anyone ever used one through the VA? thoughts?
https://benefits.va.gov/insurance/bfcs.asp

looks like ONESOURCE also provides some sort of financial counseling.
https://www.militaryonesource.mil/confidential-help/interactive-tools-services/financial-counseling/financial-counseling-services-for-a-secure-future/#:~:text=Set up a time to,if you are stationed overseas.

this convo is continued from this thread:

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question