Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

EVSSHelpDesk?

Rate this question

Scottish_Knight

Question

Right then,

I just received a rather odd email from EVSSHELPDESK.  The email claims errors were found on my VA account and they corrected them.  I am requested to verify the corrections.

I have never heard of this 'help desk' and never discovered errors.  I googled this EVSS help desk and the only thing I found was on a website called GitHub.  It seems of a phishing scam.

What say you lot?  Is this legit or not?

Cheers!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Community Owner
16 hours ago, Scottish_Knight said:

What I wrote has FA to do with a claim!  Here is the email:

Hello,

We’re contacting you 
from the EVSS Service Desk in regards to an issue you experienced using the VA.gov website in Case # 08473332.

Several data errors in your account were discovered and corrected, therefore we believe the issue is resolved and ask if you could please reattempt.

If you continue to experience this issue, or if you have any further questions, you can reply to us directly at Do not post your email address..   

Again, is EVSSHELPDESK a part of the VA?

Respectfully, 
Veterans Benefits Administration
The Insignia Team, EVSS

It would be interesting to know what the reply email address is. As an IT Admin. It looks like a scam email to me. Does the case number have anything to you. Is it your service no? Usually case no. look much different that that (i.e. social security. The old service no like before they used SSN's) It looks like this In Reply Refer To: 355/VVV File Number: Your SSN. I have one claim that has a number that looks like yours. It was for a home loan application. I get fake email's all the time with numbers on them that make it look legit. I have never seen one from the VA through.

Great question:

This has "caution..may be a scam" written all over it.  I looked it up, and this is what was posted:

https://github.com/department-of-veterans-affairs/va.gov-team/issues/8575

Now, I can not verify the accuracy of github either.  

According to the letter, you dont have to do anything, but, for your peace of mind I would suggest you call VA (using your number, not a link!), and ask them this great question.  

I suggest writing this down:  

"IF YOU call the VA, then give them your last four and your name.  Customarily they ask that, even in person."

However, if others call you, you have no idea of whether this is really the VA or not, it could be a "scam shop" in Nigeria, where they sometimes spoof your call waiting to be someone else.  

A couple years ago, I got a call from the (county) Sheriffs office.  They said I had a fine for missing jury duty.  I explained I contacted them, and explained my hearing loss would make me an exceptionally poor choice for jurror.  

He said, "well you can settle this" without going to jail.  All I have to do is send him electronically, a $285 gift card.  

He said, "dont go to the sheriffs office, they will arrest you on sight."  

He even insisted on remaining on the line while I went o purchase a 285 gift card.  

However, he was not ready for the A team, and I asked my wife to call the sheriffs office while on the way, and they said it was a scam.