Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Both Deferred and rated

Rate this question

AFVETSSGT

Question

I recently received my updated rating after my C&P last year. A few items were deferred for medical clarification, but the one that has me puzzled is that I was rated for Dermatitis, yet in the letter it also says "deferred for medical clarification" But the VA has already included that rating amount in my updated service connection %. On the main page that explains everything it says Dermatitis: Granted and issues my percentage, however when I flip to the page that breaks the rationale down, that is where it says "deferred for medical clarification" Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? The other items deferred were of no relation to dermatitis. 

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yes.  There are 2 things going on here.  First, of course, is Service connection for Dermatitis.  

Next, is SYMPTOMS of dermatititis.  You get paid for symptoms, and they need to be documented.  

I have not read your file, but it sounds like you may need medical clarification on your dematitis symptoms.  

On 1/24/2023 at 9:42 AM, broncovet said:

Yes.  There are 2 things going on here.  First, of course, is Service connection for Dermatitis.  

Next, is SYMPTOMS of dermatititis.  You get paid for symptoms, and they need to be documented.  

I have not read your file, but it sounds like you may need medical clarification on your dematitis symptoms.  

Thank you for the clarification. It isn't all rated together? They gave me an overall rating for dermatitis. Additionally, they deferred my sleep apnea and chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm told it was sent back to the examiner and she has already replied. DBQs were favorable per my VSO so I'm assuming they want to know if CFS is secondary to Sleep Apnea. I was in charge of burn pits so they may be connecting it to the PACT act as well.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@AFVETSSGTIt is a bit odd that they granted you a rating percentage and told you how much money you will be getting.

Some disabilities do have minimum rating percentages of 10% or higher, which would qualify a veteran for a compensable rating. Perhaps you met that for dermatitis, but the C&P examiner did not answer all the questions. In all of my claims, they would simply hang on to them during the clarification process and then issue a decision as the answers arrived.

Because you mentioned the PACT Act, I believe your rating is supposed to get processed faster than normal. Perhaps they decided to pay what they could based on facts in hand to assist the veteran. And then they come back around and adjust accordingly.

30 minutes ago, Vync said:

@AFVETSSGTIt is a bit odd that they granted you a rating percentage and told you how much money you will be getting.

Some disabilities do have minimum rating percentages of 10% or higher, which would qualify a veteran for a compensable rating. Perhaps you met that for dermatitis, but the C&P examiner did not answer all the questions. In all of my claims, they would simply hang on to them during the clarification process and then issue a decision as the answers arrived.

Because you mentioned the PACT Act, I believe your rating is supposed to get processed faster than normal. Perhaps they decided to pay what they could based on facts in hand to assist the veteran. And then they come back around and adjust accordingly.

@Vync That is the super bizarre thing. They gave me the highest rating possible out of the gate for it and have already issued backpayment.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@AFVETSSGTVery bizarre indeed. Might be worth inquiring about whether or not your decision is still being researched and why...