VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson Disease (AO exposure on Johnston Island)

Rate this question

Avi8tor66

Question

Good morning! I am posting this question for my husband who is now unable to type due to the tremors in his hands.  He was stationed on JI 1975-76 and his exposure is due to the AO that was stored there (the metal drums stored on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean….salt water and metal drums…= leaking barrels).  Parkinson disease is now on the presumptive list so I will be filing to add this to his VA disability.  He is already rated at 80% (I did his filing by myself with so much help I received on these forums)!  We visited our local VSO and he was very overworked and didn’t offer much info for the initial filing..so I took it on myself and we were successful the first filing….due to all of the info and help I received on the forums.

The question I have now is…

1. I read that there is an automatic 30% given for PD under proven AO exposure and that then they look at the extra (lack of better word here) physical issues PD causes.  He has extreme tremors in both hands (affects handwriting, typing, etc), shuffling and dragging of both feet/legs, Restless legs, excessive drooling, gastro issues, heart arrhythmia and high BP (which after months has finally under control with multiple meds and Clonidine for emergency episodes that he has to carry in his pocket.  The Hypertension and arrhythmia started early last year as the PD progressed.  When I file to claim the PD HOW do I or CAN I, add these extra issues which are secondary to his PD? Under the presumptive for AO from what I read there is simply a form to fill out along with Dr’s diagnosis. Therefore, my question as to the best way to file? 

As his PD progresses (he’s showing more and more cognitive changes) and I worry so much about PD Dementia or Lewis body dementia  which exposure to toxic chemicals cause. 😢  He is not handling the diagnosis of PD very well…he’s withdrawn and it breaks my heart! And I am very angry that he and many others were sent to an area that was contaminated with so many toxins! 

None of the issues above have been addressed with the VA yet. Any ideas, suggestions and help are so appreciated!  Thanks so much for your time! 

Blessings to each of you,

EJ 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

It sounds like you should try to get him to 100 percent as soon as possible, so apply for all the things you mentioned.  Dont worry about whether its primary, secondary, presumptive, etc.  

Veterans are not required to have intimate knowledge of medicine, types of service connections, or other stuff to get benefits.  

Sometimes I suggest applying for "PD, high blood pressure, heart (problems), as well as other conditions of record,  both primary and secondary to other SC conditions."

No need to limit your SC.  If he is unemployed/unemployable, (likely, given the health problems you mentioned) then you can also apply for TDIU. 

If he is PD, dont even stop there, tho the above should likely result in 100 percent.  You should consider applying for Special monthly compensation, also, if he needs aid and attendance, is housebound, or has loss of use of hands, feet, eyes, ears, reproductive organ, etc.  

On 1/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, broncovet said:

It sounds like you should try to get him to 100 percent as soon as possible, so apply for all the things you mentioned.  Dont worry about whether its primary, secondary, presumptive, etc.  

Veterans are not required to have intimate knowledge of medicine, types of service connections, or other stuff to get benefits.  

Sometimes I suggest applying for "PD, high blood pressure, heart (problems), as well as other conditions of record,  both primary and secondary to other SC conditions."

No need to limit your SC.  If he is unemployed/unemployable, (likely, given the health problems you mentioned) then you can also apply for TDIU. 

If he is PD, dont even stop there, tho the above should likely result in 100 percent.  You should consider applying for Special monthly compensation, also, if he needs aid and attendance, is housebound, or has loss of use of hands, feet, eyes, ears, reproductive organ, etc.  

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help! 

It’s been a long while since I posted…but, the good news is that hubby's claim was approved at 100%! It has been a long, stressful road but so happy that it has finally been decided. The journey was hard but victory is sweet. I learned so much along the way from other veterans all fighting the same fight and I cannot express enough gratitude for all the support and advice! 

To those still waiting, never lose hope! There are blessings waiting for you. Stay strong and know there are people praying for you.   Thanks again! 

Blessings, 

EJ