VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd May Not Be Real In Veterans! Here We Go Again!

Rate this topic

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfMAR07/nf032107-10.htm

Bodkin said it's crucial to get the diagnosis right. Though people diagnosed with post-traumatic stress commonly are also treated for depression or anxiety, he said some treatments for post-traumatic stress, such as focusing on "facing" the trauma, could be counterproductive. "It might be worse than a waste of time. Maybe you don't need to work through what is bothering you. Maybe you need to get over what is bothering you," said Bodkin.

But skeptics questioned whether one trauma, even one as horrific as war, could be the root of so much mental illness; more likely, they argued that stress worsens underlying conditions and that, for some, even a minor trauma could act as a trigger.

I just wonder how many of these EXPERTS ever spent 1 minute in a real battle, much less day after day for a year as most in Nam, and a lot of the Marines spend 3 Tours in Iraq. I say they can have their opinion, just don't try to make an opinion official law...you have to walk a day in a man's shoes before you really know." I will agree that the re-living or talking about the events WAS counter-productive for me. JJ

Edited by jessejames

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I would rather spend 5 minutes talking to someone who suffers anxiety than all the Docs and Interns I have dealt with at the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

While all the hubbub about Walter Reed there are plenty of people who would love to redefine PTSD out of existence to save money. Maybe we all just have personality disorders that we were born with so we should just suck it up and move on to an island.

I think every Veteran on this site should call the hospital this doctor works for and let the administration know how offensive Dr. J Alexander Bodkin's comments were. Here is their info. I called and asked to speak to someone in administration. A nice lady answered and I told her what I was calling about and she thanked me for my service and let me know that her nephew is a Marine on his second tour in Iraq. She transfered me to the appropiate person a Dr. Gail Tsimprea. I left a voicemail. Let's let this doctor know that Veterans are reading her staff member's article and we are not happy about it.

E-mail:

mcleaninfo@mclean.harvard.edu

Telephone: (617) 855-2000

(800) 333-0338

I sent Bodkins this e-mail, don't expect I'll ever hear from it though:

---------------

The Article AT THE BOTTOM by an "Expert" who, like the Bush Administration's hired gun (Sally Satel) is just another example of finding ways to deny Disabled Veterans who were wounded mentally by exposure to constant battle. If one of these guys spent one day in Vietnam in heavy battle, they would have had to have a Diaper a day in my opinion. I don't usually let these things upset me so much, but with the way our new Veterans are being treated as lower than dogs makes me extremely angry, and causes my nightmares and nightsweats to occur EVERY night. I try to avoid quack articles, but when our government is trying to find ways to cut the Budget on the backs of veterans, I have to speak up. The advice in the article to "just get over PTSD" is a really great idea, what is the REMEDY...THAT is lacking in the article. If you ever followed a Veteran through the process of getting a Claim approved by the VA for PTSD, I think you would probably have a different perspective...nah, probably not...because PTSD is not really real, is it????? The thing to do and what you seem to say is to just state that all Veterans who present with PTSD symptoms, just have someone write "Personality Disorder" and then the government would be free to not pay any benefits. They did this to a close friend whose records showed that before he entered service, he was normal in school, woked hard helping his parents on the farm, never any problems with any authority, went to church every Sunday. After joing the Army at age 15, he was sent to the Phillipines where he was captured by the Japanese (won a Silver Star for Valor and 2 Purple Hearts during the battle before capture) 10 men out of 120 in his company survived the Bataan Death March, he was then used as a slave for the Japanese Mitibishu Steel Company for 3 1/2 years as a POW, staved, beaten, miserable treated(weighed 80 pounds upon release!) When he was released, the Army let him re-enlist and he stayed another 2 years on stateside duty, and was discharged after he started having what the Doctors said was Neurosis...but to keep from paying any Disabilty pay, his Discharge read "Personality Disorder' which is non-compensable by the VA. You are, I assume, somehow connected with the movement by Republicans to do this exact same thing to Veterans today?? I would like to know, but I know I will NEVER get an answer to this e-mail, Sincerely, .............. P.S. Have you really been in combat before, do you REALLY know what happens to a young mind that's exposed to terrifying life or death situations every day for long periods of time?? What about these research articles: Are these and hundreds more like them all false?????????????

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1900.htm Pathophysiology: The amygdala is a key brain structure implicated in PTSD. Research has shown that exposure to traumatic stimuli can lead to fear conditioning with resultant activation of the amygdala and associated structures such as the hypothalamus, locus ceruleus, periaqueductal gray, and parabrachial nucleus. This activation and the accompanying autonomic neurotransmitter and endocrine activity produce many of the symptoms of PTSD. The orbitofrontal cortex exerts an inhibiting effect on this activation. The hippocampus also may have a modulating effect on the amygdala. However, in people who develop PTSD, the orbitofrontal cortex appears less capable of inhibiting this activation.

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/ncdocs/fac...amp;echorr=true In the mid-1990s, there was work at both the basic research level and the clinical level showing that stress and trauma have damaging physical effects on the brain. Clinical studies had demonstrated the reductions in the size of the hippocampus in patients with PTSD or depression. At the same time, basic research on the hippocampus in animals was revealing that stress causes a reduction in the levels of neurotrophic factors, which are chemical substances in the brain that are necessary for the survival and health of cells. Other studies showed that the processes of neurons were reduced by stress. So there was a convergence of basic and clinical research.

http://www.lawandpsychiatry.com/html/hippocampus.htm Studies in animals showing glucocorticoid-mediated hippocampal toxicity and memory dysfunction with stress raised the question: Does early stress, such as childhood abuse, result in similar deficits in human subjects? With this in mind, we used neuropsychological testing to measure declarative memory function in PTSD. We selected measures that were validated in studies of patients with epilepsy to be specific probes of hippocampal function. These neuropsychological measures (including delayed paragraph recall and word list learning) were correlated with a loss of neurons in the hippocampus in patients who underwent surgical resection of the hippocampus for the treatment of epilepsy.20 We initially found verbal declarative memory deficits using similar measures in Vietnam combat veterans with PTSD.21

In the first report to use brain imaging in PTSD, combat veterans were found to have an 8% reduction in right hippocampal volume, measured with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), with no difference in comparison regions including caudate, amygdala and temporal lobe (Figure 1).

------------------------------------------------

mcleaninfo@mclean.harvard.edu

Tighter definition of post-traumatic stress disorder needed, study says

Research suggests diagnoses inflated

By Scott Allen, Globe Staff | March 21, 2007

The symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder are so common that depressed people who have never faced trauma usually qualify for the condition, according to a new study that raises questions about whether thousands of Iraq war veterans as well as civilians are getting the right diagnosis and treatment for their emotional problems.

Military researchers estimate that 12 to 20 percent of Iraq war veterans show signs of post-traumatic stress, such as recurrent nightmares, emotional numbness, and high anxiety, and the disorder accounts for half of all mental health disability claims.

But the new study by McLean Hospital researchers suggests those numbers may be greatly inflated: Researchers found that almost 80 percent of the depressed people they interviewed showed symptoms of post-traumatic stress even if they could not name a single trauma that could have caused them.

"If you can identify a nasty event which occurred before these symptoms emerged, you can call it post-traumatic stress disorder," said Dr. J. Alexander Bodkin , lead author of the study in today's Journal of Anxiety Disorders. "I'm not saying there is no such thing as a mood or anxiety disorder caused by traumatic events, but the symptoms [used to classify the illness] are really grossly inadequate."

Bodkin said it's crucial to get the diagnosis right. Though people diagnosed with post-traumatic stress commonly are also treated for depression or anxiety, he said some treatments for post-traumatic stress, such as focusing on "facing" the trauma, could be counterproductive. "It might be worse than a waste of time. Maybe you don't need to work through what is bothering you. Maybe you need to get over what is bothering you," said Bodkin.

The study joins a growing body of research that questions whether post-traumatic stress disorder is a distinct mental illness, at least as it is currently defined. Unlike other mental illnesses, the diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder begins not with the patient's symptoms, but with identifying a major trauma such as witnessing a murder or fighting in a war. Critics say that can lead therapists to falsely conclude that the symptoms were caused by the trauma. It could be that the trauma worsened an underlying condition such as depression or anxiety.

Yesterday, psychiatric researchers who wrote the post-traumatic stress disorder definition agreed that the definition needs to be tightened. Psychologist David Barlow of Boston University said the official definition, which he helped develop in 1994, has become outdated as advances in brain science suggest that post-traumatic stress is more closely related to other conditions than researchers recognized at the time.

"We might need to step back a level and begin looking at what these disorders have in common," said Barlow, then cochairman of the committee that wrote the post-traumatic stress disorder section for the psychiatrists' bible, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM. Page 2 of 2 --

However, Dr. Michael First , editor of the DSM, said he believes post-traumatic stress disorder is a separate disorder. "My concern is that it's overused," said First, of Columbia University. "It started out as combat neuroses for very severely traumatized soldiers, but now it's all over the place.

Post-traumatic stress disorder wasn't officially recognized as a mental illness until 1980, as a growing number of Vietnam combat veterans complained of flashbacks, nightmares, and other symptoms that their doctors said were rooted in the horrors that they had witnessed. With the inclusion of post-traumatic stress disorder in the DSM, veterans whose symptoms didn't match any existing disease would become eligible for treatment and, potentially, disability benefits, while civilians would become eligible for private insurance coverage.

Some 5.2 million US adults suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder each year, according to the National Center for PTSD, but the risk is highest among military personnel. Last year, the Department of Veterans Affairs granted 269,399 claims for disability based on post-traumatic stress, accounting for 48.9 percent of all mental health disability claims.

HERE IS WHERE THE FOLLOW THE MONEY AFFECTS SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH< THIS SHOULD NOT BE IN THIS ARTICLE AS IT COMPROMISES THE RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! added by me

But skeptics questioned whether one trauma, even one as horrific as war, could be the root of so much mental illness; more likely, they argued that stress worsens underlying conditions and that, for some, even a minor trauma could act as a trigger. For instance, one study showed that college students who had suffered only minor traumas, such as getting stuck in an elevator, were more likely to show PTSD symptoms than those who had suffered major loss.

WAR COULD NOT POSIBLY CAUSE PTSD ALONE, IT'S CAUSED BY SOMETHING LIKE PERSONALITY DISORDDER BEFORE THE WAR EXPERIENCES....YET A RIGORUS EXAM IS GIVEN BEFORE ONE ENTERS SERVICE TO TEST FOR MENTAL ILNESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! added by me

The researchers at McLean Hospital interviewed 103 depression patients using the same survey that a counselor would to diagnose post-traumatic stress. If patients hadn't suffered a serious loss, they were urged to discuss even a minor trauma that caused them recurrent distress. Researchers found that 79 percent had PTSD symptoms, including 28 patients who could not come up with one traumatic memory.

Bodkin said the results show that the definition of post-traumatic stress disorder is unreliable. "People have just been averting their eyes since 1980 from some pretty glaring scientific problems," he said.

BODKIN NEEDS 3 TOURS IN iRAQ, THEN HE WOULD BE QUALIFIED TO SPEAK ON THE SUBJECT!!!!!!!!!!!! added by me