Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid and Attendance/SMC

Rate this question

Blessedmom

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if I posted in right place or not, but I have a question and need guidance.

I was rated 50% migraines for about roughly 20 years. I have 70% (I think adjustment disorder) 90% TDIU P and T unemployability.

I was recently diagnosed with seziures about 3 years ago and I have complex migraines that act like seziures along with PTSD. My brain is a little messed up.

I have aid and attendance that is about an extra 100 something a month. I have been fighting for VA Caregivers Program. That is still in the works again.  I have executive order disfuctioning including loss of memory, comprehension etc...everything that comes along with that. There is a safety issue where when I am cooking I forget things on the stove while I am cooking (my doctors have it documented) have to have someone with me at all times. I also am not allowed to drive.

I am trying to get SMC. I have read the requirements, but I am not quite understanding. Can you please break it down for me? or should I go for more aid and attendance.

Thank you for your guidance

Edited by Blessedmom

Your VSO is correct.  SMC or Special Monthly Compensation pays additional money/dollars over and above your regular 100% disability pay.  All SMCs pay extra money to vets.  For example SMC-S1 and S2 pay near $400.00 per month each extra and SMC-K pays over $100.00 per month extra.  Your SMC-L pays even more I believe than SMC-S or K.  There are other examples besides these we discussed.

These SMC awards are to compensate for the extra increased disability beyond just being 100% disabled.  Stick with your VSO. 

My comment is not legal advice.

Edited by Dustoff1970

Okay. Thank you both again. I understand. He agreed also to get my civilian doctor to fill out the form for me and make he sure everything out completely. I was also advised by someone to go see a Social Worker, but in past experiences they were not much help.  I don't know which one I would quailfy for, but I know I just have to send it in and see. The VSO was saying probably L since I am needing some personal assistance. As I mentioned before, all my issues are dealing with my mental capacity(brain) as far as cognitive etc..It is also well document too

Thanks you all

See the social worker, but do your homework first.  I never cease to be amazed on how well those who heed the 5 p's do.  (Proper Preperation Prevents Poor Performance).  

What to do before meeting the social worker?  Well do some research.

They may put you with someone who can help you apply for social security disability.  Some people dont know you can get both VA compensation and social security disability.  

Your social worker may be able to put you in touch with "many resources" available, such as:

1.  Meals on wheels.  If you are getting or about to get A and A, this could help a bunch.  

2.  Help with utility bills, such as weather proofing or insulating your home.  

3.  In home help with things like medical care, housework, etc.  

4.  Help doing your taxes.  

5.  Medical devices such as Grab bars, wheel chairs, or maybe a walk in bathtub.  Or, a wheel chair ramp.  

Make a list of these, or other things to discuss with your social worker, as applicable, which may help you with your disabilities.  There are many more.  Many of these things can help you with your disabilities.  Think ahead of things you would like to tell the social worker.  

"If", instead, you tell your social worker, "Im good, everything is fine"...well, no they wont help you much.  

They will take you at your word.  

But, if you tell them, "Im cold" much of the time.  Or, "I dont eat right".  Or, I have trouble paying my utility bills.  Never make stuff up to get stuff, but do be aware that these things and many others can be provided by your social worker, at least some of the time.  

As examples, you may be eligible for LEAP.  Low Income Energy Assistance Program.  This can help you with heat bills, and maybe provide energy efficiency services to lower your bill.  You know, things like weather proofing, upgrading your furnace, insulation, weather stripping, etc.  

Your social worker should be aware of who to put you in contact with, if you need those things, but, again, if you dont express your needs, well, dont expect the social worker to read your mind about your disability needs.    

The VA works on a different system, but does not provide all that stuff.  Its not the social workers fault if you tell them, "Nope, Im good, everything is fine"..to believe you need nothing.  Ask and ye shall receive.  

The 5 p's works here.  Dont be dishonest or exaggerate your needs, but dont go the other way here either, and say, "nope, Im just fine", when you are not.  If you think "this or that" may help, tell them.  For example, "I fear falling when I take a bath".  Or, "I already fell once while taking a bath."  Again, tell the truth and let the social worker do their job. 

You can start here, but your community may also have something like Area Agency on Aging.  https://www.hhs.gov/programs/social-services/programs-for-people-with-disabilities/index.html

If you go to your local "senior center" you can even talk with others, do things like play cards, our's has a pool table and swimming pool and they provide meals for low income.  

Some go their because they are lonely.  And that's ok.  Having a friend to talk to is a great idea.  I also have many friends through my church.  

Edited by broncovet

Thank you. I need to sit down and really examine what I need from the social worker. I can have my son or my friend come with me. Its hard sometimes to remember what I need because it is my memory etc..that I am having trouble with. Ive been in bed for the last few days in pain. I went to a doctor recently just to get evaluated on my neuropysch and all he could say that I am too young. Im 47. So I know I was going to get much from him because he just wanted to tell me how young I was although I scored low on my testing and he was civilian. I looked more at the smcs and put in. My son and friend has been helping me and I have been paying my friend so I need the additional funds so I pay her (on time) 

I am also trying to see if migraines are causing whats called (white matter on my brain)which is effecting my memory. Different people say different things. But if I can prove that, is there any higher smc I can get?

Thank you all again

Edited by Blessedmom
My doctor just told me that she did not want me cooking anymore

Good idea.  Write these issues down, or ask your family member to help remind you to tell the social worker your issues so you can get the help you need and deserve.  

For myself, I once took a memory course.  However, I forgot how they taught me to remember.  (This is my father's old joke..I still like it.  RIP DAD).