Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to find an attorney (for Veterans)?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Many Veterans have grown tired of denial, delay, more denials, more delays.  Its what the VA does.  

There are 2 legitimate organazations you should know about.   I have used both of these, and found them to be top notch.  They are NVLSP and NOVA, links provided below:  

1.  NVLSP Free Legal services.   (Pro BONO).  Some examples:  You are a Nehmer Vet (generally that means you served in Vietnam, or overseas, but ask, if unsure). Agent orange.  "Bad discharge".  (aka "bad paper)

The military is known for "handing bad discharges" to PTSD Vets instead of helping them.  This is very frustrating.   Some Vets even try drugs or alcohol (self medicate) to ease PTSD.  

Check their website, or just call them:

https://www.nvlsp.org/what-we-do/lawyers-serving-warriors

2.NOVA.    NVLSP cant help everyone, not every one falls into a category they can help with.  But, you can sometimes still get legal help at no cost!   Example:  If you have been unfairly denied by the BVA, and need to appeal to the cavc, there are often law firms willing to help, and many will do so "just for eaja fees" which means no cost to you!  Yes, I did just that, so Im speaking from experience.  

The law firm of Attig Steele represented me, and won a remand.  They got their fees 100 percent from EAJA.  I paid them zero.  I paid around 500 for an IMO, upon the advice of my attorney, then won at the BVA with only minimal help from a VSO (I did most of that)..  I got a very nice retro check with none deducted for law fees.  But, I got professional representation at the cavc, as well as advice on what to do to win at the BVA, upon remand. 

Another law firm also won a remand for me at the CAVC also got eaja fees, but represented me at the BVA.  I paid "partial" fees, because lawyers can not collect from me and the eaja, except to the extent that the 20 percent fee I agreed to exceeded the eaja fees. 

https://www.vetadvocates.org/cpages/sustaining-members-directory

NOTE:   ************There is a shortage of lawyers who represent Veterans*************************

There are about 20 million Vets, and probably 1000 Vet lawyers.  Do the math.  Many are so busy they can not take new clients.  Others choose "particular types" of clients they are familar with.  Example:  PTSD or Earlier effective dates.  

And, so dont be upset if the first one or two law firms turn you down.  I usually contacted at least 3 or more, before I found one who agreed to represent me.  Dont be discouraged if one or more says no.  

I was turned down for representation more than I was represented!!!  And I won anyway!!!

But, I won for different reasons than I thought.  

Generally, law firms wont represent you at the VA until you have received "at least one denial letter". A possible exception is "bad paper", but ask the NVLSP about that one.  

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Community Owner
On 1/23/2024 at 11:58 AM, broncovet said:

Its high time VA is given time limits.  Right now, Veterans have time limits VA has none.  They can literally delay your claim for decades, and they do, at will.  

I came to Hadit via The Veterans Law Blog in 2012. They have a good list of questions to ask a VA attorney.

https://www.veteranslawblog.org/va-disability-attorney-book/