VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim for cardiovascular disease secondary to hypertension - request for full record?

Rate this question

WeatherGuy

Question

Recently I submitted a claim for heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition. I was told by the VA that I had to follow it as a supplemental claim since at the time of my first post-retirement claim many years back I had listed chest pain as a condition. I submitted all of the following online 2 weeks ago:

• A clear nexus letter from my primary physician who wrote that it was likely that my hypertension had played a role in the development of my heart disease.
  • Multiple (but not all) records from my recent cardiologist (followed now by the PCP since moving). These select records show diagnoses, heart test results, and symptoms.
  • Multiple (but not all) records from my primary physician - I added all records that in any way related to my heart condition (diagnoses and test results).
  • A print out of my heart-related medications from my pharmacy for the last several years.

Today I received a letter requesting additional information from the VA. They specifically requested that I complete a VA form 10-5345 to allow them to request records from both my cardiologist and my primary physician. I am confused about their request since I uploaded the pertinent records from each doctor to them already. Also, there is a lot of personal information in those records, particularly those from my PCP, that I would rather they not have (and they aren’t at all relevant to this heart disease claim).  I have been at the same rating for a very long time and this claim will not move that needle at all; my intent was to cover myself for years in the future should the cardio condition worsen (thinking it easier to deal with it now than when potentially very old and sick). But I now am worried they will try to use these records to try to reduce previous ratings or to use against me in any future filings. 

I don’t want to sound paranoid, and perhaps I have been watching too many VA disability related videos online, but I am feeling anxious about sending them my PCP’s medical record on me for a cardiovascular claim. Any words of wisdom or experience anything similar? Any kind input would be appreciated.

Edited by WeatherGuy

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

@brokensoldier244th the thing is, I did upload a good sample of the medical records from both docs already with the initial claim (specifically the records that had the diagnoses, symptoms, and the various cardiac testing). That is what created the confusion for me when the VA was now requesting records (hopefully I am explaining this where it makes sense). In your experience, where there is this letter asking for the signed release (but also saying I can upload the records myself) is it because they don’t have enough information somehow or it’s just standard practice to send this. I did upload a number of records from both the cardiologist and the primary care physician. But there’s a lot of private things in those records that I would rather not disclose just for privacy reasons if that is possible. I’m just trying to seek to understand since the letter doesn’t give me any clues. 

Edited by WeatherGuy

5 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Incorrect on several counts. All evidence is weighed by the rater and weighted based on probative value. We don't 'consider any copy could have been altered by you'. I see hundreds of pages a day of veteran-submitted records- STRs, OMPF, private medical, police reports, Investigative notes, etc. Per the MR everything is accepted on face value unless something is glaringly wrong with it. For example, I have seen a doctored DD214 before that ended up being part of an OIG investigation into fraudulent enrichment. It does happen but it's pretty rare.

We aren't just rated on 'moving something from pile A to pile B'. The performance standards that we are evaluated on are 7 pages long; there are 11 different sections of things that we are evaluated on per individual claim, though not all of those apply to every given claim. One of our three critical evaluative ratings is based on accuracy, and we are reviewed for it every month. I have a meeting with my supervisor sometime in the next few days for last month's review. The three critical elements are what determines if you are promotable later, and they follow me in my eOPF no matter where I go. 

Sorry, but I've never found that the VA has accepted any records I have submitted, without securing the evidence directly from the source, of the evidence I've submitted.  None of my documents have ever been falsified, nor would I ever consider doing anything like that.  I was stating in simple terms what I believe and what I have seen.  Also, if this was not true, why did it take 31yrs, to win claim, with evidence, that was submitted prior to the award.  Things may have or be changing but that's yet to be seen.  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.   Again, jmo.

Posted (edited)

Update. I did not sign the records release for my pcp and cardiologist since it just was not all pertinent and also none of their business (IMHO).  I did go back through and send even more from my cardiologist., pretty much all the progress notes from years. I had one c&p exam (more rescheduled, but I think once the raider got to the records, they realized that all the different testing they were wanting to do it already been done). They rated the CAD as service connected and awarded 10% which was what I expected ((actually not as secondary since there was evidence in the record it likely began during my service; they had carved the CAD out of the larger supplemental claim and have also altered another heart diagnosis as another claim that essentially is now a hypertension increase claim that is ongoing).  The good thing is the CAD is not service connected -mid there should be future worsening of the condition it will be an easier journey to achieve an increase (particularly important shit happen at a time that I’m much older and potentially very ill). It was only about 3 months for that portion start to finish (remarkable given that my very first appeal when I retired in the mid 2000s took 3 full years). 

Thank you all for your support! 

Edited by WeatherGuy